Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IP address = full access to computer files?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:01 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Does giving out an IP address give someone full access to my computer and files? Or will they not be able to get through my router and software firewall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Someone who's pretty skilled might, but I'd add, I don't think you'd be any more at risk then anyone else out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:54 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Unless you've got a static IP, don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:16 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

Think of it like this hypothetical situation:
Every car on the highway has to have their starting and ending addresses in bold on the hood of their car (by order of the king.. or something). There are millions of cars on the highway, though. Why would a potential attacker pick you? Even if he did, there's still your locked door and windows, etc. to protect you.

Your IP address is nothing more than information on how to get to your computer basically. It is needed to communicate on the internet.

Your IP address is directly used in every connection to the internet (unless you use a proxy, but even there's still an address from you that the proxy knows). Your MAC address is also used in every transaction. However, how many times have you been attacked in your trillions of packets sent? Not that many.

However, giving out your IP address is a bad idea. If someone doesn't like you, or spots a weakness (i.e. the wife of your supposedly un-married girlfriend, a person you flamed, someone who spots you using an old, un-updated version of Windows, etc.), can use that address to try to get to you. Without the address, they are lost.

Giving your IP address out is a bad idea, but it doesn't mean you're going to be hacked.

Post subject: Re: IP address = full access to computer files?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

TsunamiZ wrote:
Does giving out an IP address give someone full access to my computer and files? Or will they not be able to get through my router and software firewall?

Your IP is like your street addres. If you windows and doors are shut and locked, no one can get in right?

They would have to bypass the windows and doors...and to do that they'd hit a wall...literally.

Keep your computer patched with the newest versions of your software, install service packs for windows and office, and keep going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Don't forget to upgrade your router's firmware as well, from time to time.