Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum HD Size on 1 partition in WinXp pro sp2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have Windows Xp Pro. SP2, and like I was saying in another post, I am planning on upgrading my HD. I remember reading somwhere that windows will not recognize anything larger than 120GB...Is this correct? If so, what is the recommended partition size for a 160GB drive? And I also remember reading that when partitioned, windows xp cannot use its propreity method of writing files to the HD to gain the most performance. Is this true?
Thank you.
Marco
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:33 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I've never seen a "recommended partition size" for anything myself. Honestly, it's really all preference with the same drive.

Myself, I'd probably just format that to a 160 gig NTFS partition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:52 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Unless you've slipstreamed SP1 or SP2 into your Installation CD, or your CD comes with SP1 or SP2 already on it, you'll have a maximum Boot Partition of 137Gb.

Article From Maxtor's Website

A Lengthy article about custom installation packages

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have Windows XP Profesional VLK with SP2 Integrated....so this wont apply for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have a S-ata drive if that makes a difference...and thanx SperChip64...great links...they really help explain. :D
Thanx
Marco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:14 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Using an SATA Drive won't matter, since you'll have to either have an Intel chipset with ICH5 or ICH6 (which makes 48-bit and SATA native), or will be loading drivers with the "dreaded" F6 key.

With SATA, you'll be able to use the whole drive for one partition.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:16 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

You can make one big partition but I suggest you make atleast two partitions.

Make one just for the os and your apps. figure out how large you'll need to install everything you'll ever need. then make a second partition to store your personal files to fill up rest of the drive.

It's much nicer this way trust me. If you ever want to blow out your system and do a clean install you an easily wipe the os/app partition and reinstall without loosing all your personal data (mp3s/movies/documents/whatever).

I actually split up my 120gig hd into 4 partitions
C: (swap) 2gigs ntfs
D: (OS/Apps) 25gigs ntfs
E: (development) 10gigs ntfs
F: (archive) 75gigs ntfs

C: has noting but a presized 2 gig swap file on it.
D: is where I install winxp and all my apps. I don't game much since it's a pos old system so 25 gigs is plent.
E: since I do lots of development work programming/website design/etc I have a dedicated partition just for all that.
F: this is my dumping grounds for everything else. mp3s, movies, pictures, word documents, every program i've every downloaded/etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:53 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Dexter wrote:
I actually split up my 120gig hd into 4 partitions
C: (swap) 2gigs ntfs
D: (OS/Apps) 25gigs ntfs
E: (development) 10gigs ntfs
F: (archive) 75gigs ntfs
i've every downloaded/etc.

Dex, do you have enough free space on your c: to keep off the Disk Cleanup notice or is there a way to turn that off? i set my swap partition a little higher than necessary because of that damn warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:27 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

simple registry hack to fix that...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer

Create a dword value named "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks" and set it to "1". won't bother you ever again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:31 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

eck, registry hacks. i tend to avoid those at all cost, hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Regarding SuperChip64's reply, I do have an Intel 875p mobo (the 875pbzlk which I believ has ICH5.

Thanx for the info Dexter...I think I'll buy another drive and partition the one with my OS...Hmmm...I'm not really aware of what putting your swap file in its own partition does...(I guess it keeps it from corrupting and makes it faster?, and I have no clue how to do this...could you please explain the process and benefits? That would be great. =).

If I made an OS/App Partition like you did, its probably good to put my games on their as well? Or give them their own partition...I only usually have around 5-7 games installed.

Anyways thanks for all of the greate info everyone.
Marco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:35 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Troyus wrote:
I'm not really aware of what putting your swap file in its own partition does...(I guess it keeps it from corrupting and makes it faster?, and I have no clue how to do this...could you please explain the process and benefits? That would be great. =).

Well normally windows just manages the swap file on it's own. It adjusts the size on the fly to whatever it needs. the main problem is this causes swap fragmentation and there's the lag time of resizing...

By giving yourself a dedicated swap partition and setting a fixed size you remove the needs for the OS to resize, there is no fragmentation becuase it's always there and always the same size, plus one extra benfit is there is a tiny speed boost since the swap file is at the begining of the drive where there is a little bit of speed improvement.

Control panel -> system -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> advanced tab -> virtual memory change button

1) select your swap drive -> choose custom size -> set the initial and maximum size to the space availble (or 200mb less than available to keep the low disk space warning from bothering you if you don't disable it)

2) select your OS partition -> chose custom size -> set the intital to 2mb and the maximum to 1024mb or some other size. Just for safety I leave it so there is a swap file on the os partition should something kill the dedicated one. While it's tempting to set to to system manages size windows ends up making it like half the amount of ram you have regardless of the fact that you already have a 2 gig swap file preset! where as if you give it a preset size it will only make that little 2mb swap file.

3) select any other drives and set to no paging file

4) click ok and exit out. it'll make you restart windows so let it

P.S. turn off the system restore monitoring on the swap drive too!

Troyus wrote:
If I made an OS/App Partition like you did, its probably good to put my games on their as well? Or give them their own partition...I only usually have around 5-7 games installed.

I just install everything to the os/app partition, games included. when you want to blow out the system you usually want to get rid of everything anyways so it's just easier. Just remember to back up any saved games, email, my document folders, etc first!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanx so much Dexter...great info. . You really know your stuff. :D

I will create the swap partition as soon as I get my new drive...=). I just got a few more questions...
1) I can create the swap drive partition when Installing windows XP, right? Or... I'm not really sure...I've never made partitions before...Just for the OS when it asks you...
2)If the partition for the swap file is on drive C: (which I suppose it should be) won't programs always try and install themselves there, leading to annoyances...?
3)If I purchase another drive, will I need to make a partition for the swap file there too? Or can I turn the feature off?
4) If I make the swap file more than 2GB, will there be a performance increase?
Well...thanx so much Dexter..I'm learning alot of new and useful info just from this one post...
Marco :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:52 am 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Troyus wrote:
Thanx so much Dexter...great info. . You really know your stuff. :D

I will create the swap partition as soon as I get my new drive...=). I just got a few more questions...
1) I can create the swap drive partition when Installing windows XP, right? Or... I'm not really sure...I've never made partitions before...Just for the OS when it asks you...

Yes the windows XP installer has a nice partition maker that will let you create as many as you want.

Here's a great xp install guide with pictures of the procedure at blackviper.com:
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

Troyus wrote:
2)If the partition for the swap file is on drive C: (which I suppose it should be) won't programs always try and install themselves there, leading to annoyances...?

Some really old programs that are hard coded to install to C: will. you just have to watch them and make sure to override the default. However, new programs almost allways install into the "program files" directory and they will ask windows where this folder is and not have any problems.

Troyus wrote:
3)If I purchase another drive, will I need to make a partition for the swap file there too? Or can I turn the feature off?

One swap file partition is enough.

Troyus wrote:
4) If I make the swap file more than 2GB, will there be a performance increase?

no and honestly unless you're a hardcore user (and by hardcore I mean you do 3d rendering, massive video editing, etc) you won't even ever need a 2gig swap file. heck you'll probabbly never need 1gig. it's just that hard drive space is so cheap now days I figure might as well just give yourself such a huge dedicated swap file that you'll never need to worry.

Troyus wrote:
Well...thanx so much Dexter..I'm learning alot of new and useful info just from this one post...
Marco :D

Well that's what these forums are for! I'm just glad to be able to share what I've learned from experiementing over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanx again Dextor for the excellent information. A great help! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Sorry to revive such an old topic, but I have a question for Dexter (or anyone else who might have the answer).
A couple of years back a buddy told me that partitioning a drive will slow its performance. I stopped partitioning after that and it was no big deal, but now the smallest drive in my computer is 40GB (OS) and I want to use one with 8MB of cache, which means I've got to use an 80 GB drive for the OS. A lot of that space will be wasted unless I install games to it, too. Does partitioning affect a drive's performance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:01 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Sard wrote:
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but I have a question for Dexter (or anyone else who might have the answer).
A couple of years back a buddy told me that partitioning a drive will slow its performance. I stopped partitioning after that and it was no big deal, but now the smallest drive in my computer is 40GB (OS) and I want to use one with 8MB of cache, which means I've got to use an 80 GB drive for the OS. A lot of that space will be wasted unless I install games to it, too. Does partitioning affect a drive's performance?

Er - dexter will have a better answer.

It can effect drive performance in a negative way - but I doubt you would notice. It is sorta a form of fragmentation. Yet, the way dexter uses it, it turns into a form a defragmentation.

At anyrate - you won't notice - I bet even a bench wouldn't see it. If a bench can't see it then its just theoretical.

Dexter's opinion might very - and I would tend to trust him :)

BTW Dexter - how 'bout an FAQ on this? I like the swap partition idea much. Next time I install I will use it.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:36 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if someone had ever run benchmarks to that effect.

I'm starting to think that with the 40GB 2MB cache drive my OS is on, I could change to the 80GB 8MB Cache drive I want to use and performance would increase because of the cache even if I did format it. Dexter, Dexter, we're waiting for you and the monkey to answer this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:35 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Sard wrote:

That's ok. It's not really old. Just a few days :)

Sard wrote:

Sorry for taking so long too... I was out of town for the weekend with no net access. Well I did have access but I only checked my email one a day so I wouldn't piss off my girlfriend spending hours infront of the computer :)

In laymens terms yes partitioning does affect performance.

As manta did point out, and was right, multiple partitions are in a way fragmenting the drive.

I won't bother going into the intracacies of HD technology becuase it's pretty damn intensive. Suffice to say data on a hd is stored from the outer to the inner and the outer areas have better performance (ie they read and write faster on the outer areas).

Instead of all the data being put in the beginning of the drive, as would be with a single partion, where it's the fastest you're now making the data get spread out all over the drive where performance degrades with multiple partitions.

On a side note this is why I make a point of having a dedicated swap partition created first before your os/app/data/etc partions! You end up with a speed boost for swapping since it's being put in the fastest part of the drive. And all modern OSes do swapping no matter how much RAM you may have so it's worth the time and effort to optimize the swap file.

Maybe I'm just a bit obsessive compulsive but In the end you have the weigh the performance vs useability. Oh sure doom might take an extra 5 seconds to load *gasp* but I'd say when you look at it this way taking a minor speed hit is worth it for a much nicer organized drive.