Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How To Make Win XP On Old Hard Drive Unrecognized?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:40 pm 

Just finished building a new pc, and I installed what was the primary drive on the old pc, as a secondary drive on the new pc since its only a year old (WD 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache).
Now, when the pc boots, its asking me to select the version of XP to run, the top one, highlighted, is my new 300GB drive, the second version listed is the old drive. I want to make the old drive simply a secondary drive, how can I disengage XP on that one so this dosent happen?
Thanks for any help with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:43 am 

switch em around you'll get better seek times with your winxp install on the 80gb drive :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That depends on what his new Primary HD is, of course.

Is there a reason to keep WinXP on the old drive? For starters, you can simply delete the windows folder. But...

Another good option is to go ahead and boot the way you are doing this for now. Once in, make a folder called BCKUP on your new C: drive and copy every folder you want to keep over to this new folder (skip Windows, and those $win_nt$ folders, and even all those various files and cookies). Now you can shut down, unplug the new HDD (for safety's sake) and fdisk/format that old drive to wipe it clean. Right now, there's a lot of junk that you don't really need anymore and a bootsector as well that's totally useless.

When this is complete, you can plug it all back up, move the folders and files in the BCKUP folder you made back to the freshly formated disc (or where you'd like to have them now), and start re-installing your components. Take note that you really should re-install all your software, as making shortcuts again to the .exe's do little good. They need an actual install or you'll be asking for trouble down the road.

But mainly, just delete the old windows file as I see no use for it anymore. If you want to keep it, boot in and change "Windows" to "_Windows". Can't get around that Boot sector easily though, and will take a little MSCONFIG work.