Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win XP SP2: do or don't?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:00 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

What do you guys think? I'm thinking of applying it, are there any severe problems with Service Pack 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:30 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Been running it since the network install was made available abotu 3 weeks ago. No problems here. YMMV however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:37 am 
Northwood
Northwood

backup your data and apply SP2. risk it and toy around with the new service pack and see if you get any problems. its a learning experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:55 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanks! I'll try it tonight. I don't care if everything goes wrong, I need to do clean install soon anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

REPORT FROM THE SP2 BATTLEFRONT

sorry, that was corny, i know. At anyrate, applied SP2 to a fresh install of XP. everything seemed well until I attempted to install and run command and conquer generals. It sort of...launches doom 3 when I try to launch generals... kind of fishy. Anyone seen any similar problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:42 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

My Patch was a success. Had to disable Firewall, and other warnings crap. Plus had to update Nero, but everything else seems to be working. Haven't tried Doom 3 yet, but UT2004 seems to be working just great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:29 am 

I have been running service pack 2 on my laptop ever since release canadiate 2 was available. I have had no problems with it. Office 2000, web surfing, e-mail & Diablo 2 have all continued to work just fine.

I just installed sp2 on my desktop at home, and so far it is working just fine.

Alot of people seem to be having various problems with sp2. However, everybody's system is different and therefore mileage will vary. Best thing is to do a full backup of your system, apply sp2 and give is a road test. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't work, format the partition and restore you system from the backup you made.

Sully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:44 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

doom 3 works great under SP2, as do a lot of first person shooters. Ive now noticed a trend that while FPS's work fine, real time strategy games seem to getting slapped around by SP2, C&C Generals, WC3, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:24 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Quote:
Ive now noticed a trend that while FPS's work fine, real time strategy games seem to getting slapped around by SP2, C&C Generals, WC3, etc.

i havent noticed that at all. matter of fact i ran the ut04 flyby before and after sp2 and framerate got slightly better. i play a lotta WC3 and C&C titles and i havent noticed any change, positive or negative on framerates. thats with a 9800 pro 128 card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:55 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I grabbed SP2 and it made a mess of my games, tried all the usual stuff to fix. Did a clean install, downloaded all updates including sp2, then did video and installed programs. Everything running great since. Had 1 other friend who grabbed sp2 and had a few minor problems, he went thru a reinstall as well. I agree with the others, all depends on the system and how its used i guess. Some people have no problems, others have weird graphic problems in there games, lol. Doom 3 and BHD running smooth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:12 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

only game that seemed wierd for me was one of my medal of honor games and i just had to make a new shortcut and then it worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:59 am 
Team Member
Team Member

gramaton cleric wrote:
Quote:
Ive now noticed a trend that while FPS's work fine, real time strategy games seem to getting slapped around by SP2, C&C Generals, WC3, etc.

i havent noticed that at all. matter of fact i ran the ut04 flyby before and after sp2 and framerate got slightly better. i play a lotta WC3 and C&C titles and i havent noticed any change, positive or negative on framerates. thats with a 9800 pro 128 card.

I wasn't necessarily refering to frame rates, I couldn't even start C&C Gen. under SP2. Though I just put a new proc in my machine and it cleared up the problem. But it was strange how when I would go to start C&C it would start doom 3 instead. Anyone every experieced a problem like that? Also, FPS do get better slightly under SP2, from my experience with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:23 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

We've done it on one Gigabyte puter. I also have a Compaq that needs it, but I need to go to Compaq 1st to see if it needs a patch before installing it. I've noticed some Compaq's & some Dell's have either patches or Bios updates that need to be done 1st.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:41 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

installed on 3 PCs with no major problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:22 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

been running for a while (no idea how long) and it runs great. but, I have read a lot about other people havin' problems. So, yeah, go for it, but I can't guarantee anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:08 pm 

I'm kind of interested to know if anybody here has had any *problems* with it that can't be readily fixed. I work in tech support, so most of the people I hear about SP2 from can't tie their shoes, let alone reinstall Windows XPee from the ground up, and from that perspective, I've had a very bad first impression of XP2.

So what's the general consensus from real PC users as opposed to lusers who see "limited or no connectivity available," and then, because they have limited or no IQ available, disable their NIC and then wonder why they're getting Error 769?

Obviously, something that simple isn't going to interrupt my enjoyment of XPee SP2, as I'm once cert short of an MCSE (Must Consult Someone Else)...hence, I'm Consulting Someone Else before even trying. It's my understanding that SP2 adds about 30 seconds to boot-up time. I don't reboot very often, but when I do, I'm usually a very impatient cuss and begrudge every second. Is there anything in SP2 that makes it worth those 30 seconds?

As matters stand, I take good care of my computer, and although it's far from the hottest kid on the block (Still an Athlon XPee 2500+, as I've never felt the need for more speed), it works, and it works well, at least for the game I play (Final Fantasy XI leaves no time for other games xD). I'd prefer to avoid pooching my OS, because then I'd have to reinstall FFXI and then spend 16 hours doing an online update over PlayOnline's crappy updater. No fun.

Of course, regardless of anything else, I plan to make a bootable CD with XPee SP2 slipstreamed on it just for fun, I just don't know if I ever want to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:59 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

hehe...fox i am running XP SP2 on a 650MHz Slot-A....after some tweaking i have been able to get my boot times back to around 28sec. total(including login)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:27 pm 

Notice any concrete advantages, other than being able to say you're on the bleeding edge of your OS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:24 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Reynard the Fox wrote:
Notice any concrete advantages, other than being able to say you're on the bleeding edge of your OS?

I'd have to say the security. This is a huge thing from Microsoft designed to patch it's own ass. I'd say install it just for the security features alone. You don't want to help spread viruses do you? Also, that JPEG virus goin around...yeah...you would of already been immunue to that if you had SP2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:06 pm 

I never have virus problems. I have AVG and a router (although it is a crappy D-Link and not the Linksys I want) and a brain* (up yours, email attachments), so the only reason I know viruses exist is because I have to support other people who get infected

*at least as much of a brain as a tech support peon whose training has come primarily from Microsoft generally has. Everyone here is still smarter than me.