Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:00 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
I say Forefox all the way. the new 0.9.1 has solved all the issues I had with 0.8 so the only reason I keep Internet Exploder around is for checking my hotmail and Amazon's Music Sampler only works with IE.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:06 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 20
Don't get me wrong, I love firefox (though they don't let us use it at work cept off my USB key). But I dont think you should be listening to what homeland security says when they run unencrypted wireless lans throughout their entire facility...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/30/security.gap/

Kinda scary... almost like the US government went out and bought a linksys router from CompUSA and didn't even change the admin password.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: IE Vs Others
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:43 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
..finally a chance to let out my piece of the pie! lol

ok.. IE has holes, as well as the Whole OS for Windows.

Linux has holes(not many exploit them.. but they do)

Mac has Holes..(not many exploit them either)

about how many percent of the world uses Windows...i read somewhere(no i dont remember) it was about 85%.. the rest uses linux and Mac.. GET OVER THE IDEA OF WINDOWS NOT HAVING HOLES!!!

shut the H3LL up about it geez us.. ok and if you like speed, you would definatly say that IE brings up pages faster and quicker then the other Browsers.. Netscape was horribly slow.. as well as mozilla/Firefox.. its horrible.. i timed going to Ebay.com with IE6.. it was 1.4 seconds fast..now with firefox it was 3.6 seconds.. my god.. i know your all thinking.. a whole 3 seconds.. yeah i know but i want speed..

and as for the popups.. EVERY FREAKING PLACE HAS ONE.. whats that you say.. get firefox its already built in.. COOL but the thing is.. download Googles toolbar.. stops them perfectly.. wow HOW FREAKING HARD IS THAT TO DO.. geez.. all i hear about is how bad IE is.. but let me ask you a ?



WHAT IS THE MOST POPULAR SOFTWARE/OS/BROWSWER OUT THERE!!!

i would say Windows/Windows/IE..

Finished.. any comments post em!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: 1% in 1 Month
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:19 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
PCWorld reports: A series of highly publicized security vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser may be having an effect on the browser's market share, according to data compiled by WebSideStory, a San Diego Web metrics company. Over the last month, Internet Explorer's share of the browser market dropped by 1 percent, the first noticeable decline since WebSideStory began tracking the browser market in late 1999.

"It's the first time that we've seen a sustained trend downward for them," said Geoff Johnston, an analyst with WebSideStory. "We have a very steady trend. It's been about a month, and every day we have a steady incremental change."


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IE Vs Others
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:38 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 20
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
Finished.. any comments post em!


85% of the market may be Windows and/or IE, but I'd say more than 85% of the malicious virii I hear about rampaging systems and flooding servers are Microsoft/IE/Outlook exploit based.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: true
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:09 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
now that is true, and i agree with you, it sucks!!.. but

lets get down to the point.. once MS gets things settled, and learn from their mistakes.. the next Windows.. not longhorn but later on down the road is gonna be wonderful.. maybe even fool proof.. but the more they learn the better they can program.. lets think about this

how many people do we have writing code for windows?....


LOTS AND LOTS.. people make mistakes.." to err is human".. its gonna happen.. just chill and deal bud, if you dont like windows dont use it, ...other then that..CHILL


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: true
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:02 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
now that is true, and i agree with you, it sucks!!.. but

lets get down to the point.. once MS gets things settled, and learn from their mistakes.. the next Windows.. not longhorn but later on down the road is gonna be wonderful.. maybe even fool proof.. but the more they learn the better they can program.. lets think about this

how many people do we have writing code for windows?....


LOTS AND LOTS.. people make mistakes.." to err is human".. its gonna happen.. just chill and deal bud, if you dont like windows dont use it, ...other then that..CHILL


No OS (of high functionality) is fully secure and ever will be. Any OS or software with a large percentage of the marketshare will be a target.

IE is a special case in that its higher functionality allows for things that simply cannot happen on other browsers. Combine this with it high use percentage (80-93+% depending on who you ask) and its going to be a problem. OTOH - I must admit that MS is on the ball with fixes.

As far as OS's, XP is popular but I use Linux and OSX as well. I can say that I like OSX the best, but I don't have the hardware for it (and I doubt I will buy any.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean its "the best". That said, XP is a very nice OS, the best MS has put out. Any real determination is subjective.

Now, onto the histeria. When CERT speaks, people should listen.

Thats what the thread is really about (or was).

You like IE, fine - no problem. But, if your CC info gets (or got) taken and used because of this specific issue, then don't cry about it. You were warned. I expect that if the same happens with gecko engine browsers someone will post a warning as well and I am glad for it. I wanna know if there is a problem with the software I use.

There - you asked for comments

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:55 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
thanks for the comments, and i respect what you say, as well as CERT.. but..

he isnt the foremost person on windows now is he?.. nor me, or you.

i never said that it was the best because it was used the most, but lets get to what im saying.

MS Windows will NEVER be perfect, but they are getting a helluva lot better. Linux and Mac... both good OS's but if people (virus writers,hackers, whoever) would start going after Mac, and Linux then you would see that they have holes also..

expecially linux.. since its open source.. people who write that code can make mistakes ok.. so there IS HOLES, just no one exploits them, the same as mac.. as i said i like all Os's but i think MS is one of the betters ones.. well XP is.. hehe.. alrighty keep posting, im ready for your comments.!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cool
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:11 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:35 pm
Posts: 55
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
MS Windows will NEVER be perfect, but they are getting a helluva lot better. Linux and Mac... both good OS's but if people (virus writers,hackers, whoever) would start going after Mac, and Linux then you would see that they have holes also..


The HUGE problem with Microsoft isn't just the fact that their code has problems, it's that MS sits on their ass when it comes time to fixing those problems/exploits. There have been security bugs that have taken months for MS to fix(or even acknowledge :shock: ). With linux if a critical exploit or bug is found within a week a patch will be circulating the net.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: true
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:25 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
i like the fact that linux has that option.. the problem is.. if someone fixes the prob , they can also cause another prob!!!!!!!.... DUH

thats the freaking problem with open source!!!

now.. MS doesnt always tell you when a prob comes out, because they dont want people to start going nuts over something thats probably very tiny.. but sometimes its a big problem.. so i understand that !!!

ok second. they have TONS OF PEOPLE working on it.. it takes a few just to see if it works!!!!.. you know everyone rags on MS, but there is nothing wrong with them.. they have probs.. everyone does.. chill and relax. one day things will work out, and MS will get a helluva lot better!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: true
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:53 pm 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: So Cal
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
i like the fact that linux has that option.. the problem is.. if someone fixes the prob , they can also cause another prob!!!!!!!.... DUH

thats the freaking problem with open source!!!

now.. MS doesnt always tell you when a prob comes out, because they dont want people to start going nuts over something thats probably very tiny.. but sometimes its a big problem.. so i understand that !!!

ok second. they have TONS OF PEOPLE working on it.. it takes a few just to see if it works!!!!.. you know everyone rags on MS, but there is nothing wrong with them.. they have probs.. everyone does.. chill and relax. one day things will work out, and MS will get a helluva lot better!



SP2 will makes things better

hopfully longhorn will too


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: true
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:56 pm 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:35 pm
Posts: 55
:?: meh I give up


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: true
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:04 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
i like the fact that linux has that option.. the problem is.. if someone fixes the prob , they can also cause another prob!!!!!!!.... DUH

thats the freaking problem with open source!!!


I highly suspect that you speak from your ass.
Could you kindly cite some examples.

Sgt.Hulka wrote:
now.. MS doesnt always tell you when a prob comes out, because they dont want people to start going nuts over something thats probably very tiny.. but sometimes its a big problem.. so i understand that !!!


Obscurity ==! Security

Sgt.Hulka wrote:
ok second. they have TONS OF PEOPLE working on it.. it takes a few just to see if it works!!!!.. you know everyone rags on MS, but there is nothing wrong with them.. they have probs.. everyone does.. chill and relax. one day things will work out, and MS will get a helluva lot better!


I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you don't apply this "sit-on-my-ass-and-hope-that-things-get-better" attitude to every aspect of your life.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:59 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
wow.. ske..whatever his name most likely its skekissmyass.. something like that.. the person before who said about SP2 will make things better thats very true!.. as well as longhorn.. and skekissmyass dude, well i think he has nothing better to say because he has no clue about anything on here.. so you my friend can shut the hell up. and well ill leave it as that!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
Does your name happen to be Gerald Holmes?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: if it was?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:13 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 9
if it was.. would i tell you? hell fucking no, but no it is not Gerald Holmes, thats a funny site tho.. man your on the ball trying to make me look bad.. so whats your Expertise? ..being an asshole?.. i dunno mines in computers buddy, A+, N+, and MCSE.. whats yours?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: if it was?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:52 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
if it was.. would i tell you? hell fucking no, but no it is not Gerald Holmes, thats a funny site tho.. man your on the ball trying to make me look bad.. so whats your Expertise? ..being an asshole?.. i dunno mines in computers buddy, A+, N+, and MCSE.. whats yours?


You and Skesis need to chill

Before the mods pull out the Ban stick.

As for your open source claim of lack security - it falls short. The code that is submitted is reviewed - and security is a primary concern. MS also review code - and well - selling copies seems to be thier primary concern.

Further - waiting for things to get better may not sound like a bad idea, but as long as MS is looking for money they will always put "user friendly" above security. Its a mistake they have made in the past - and with Linux putting market pressure on them now it is likely a mistake they will make in the future.

As an example I point you to the ICF not being enabled by default.

And lastly, MS OS's are not programmed by deaf, mute elves that are never in danger of developing a disgruntalled attitude toward thier employer - I could point you to a few lawsuits if you really wish (and if I feel like it).

There are many ways to defend MS - and you picked the weakest ones. Why?

Under what you have stated, explain to me how OSX is not a superior product?

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: if it was?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:16 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
man your on the ball trying to make me look bad..


I can't take all the credit...

Sgt.Hulka wrote:
so whats your Expertise? ..being an asshole?.. i dunno mines in computers buddy, A+, N+, and MCSE.. whats yours?


Since you asked...
I'm only an amateur asshole my true profession is in animation.

But we are digressing, can you or can you not provide examples supporting your claims against open source?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: if it was?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:51 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
Skeksis wrote:
Sgt.Hulka wrote:
man your on the ball trying to make me look bad..


I can't take all the credit...

Sgt.Hulka wrote:
so whats your Expertise? ..being an asshole?.. i dunno mines in computers buddy, A+, N+, and MCSE.. whats yours?


Since you asked...
I'm only an amateur asshole my true profession is in animation.

But we are digressing, can you or can you not provide examples supporting your claims against open source?


Is there anyway to convince the two of you this arguement is stupid and old??

One could search and find evidence to support the Sarge's claim - of course it would likely be followed by the solution that was pursued. One I am reminded of is the early use of defualt passwords for active components (that might have been Berkley's Unix project rthough). Any project of significant size will have issues - open or no.

Just let it drop

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: if it was?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:53 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:51 am
Posts: 607
Location: 127.0.0.1
MantaBase wrote:
Is there anyway to convince the two of you this arguement is stupid and old??


I'm not sure why you feel the need to intervene and play 'mother hen' but you put me in the unfortunate position where I have to explain the obvious: There is no argument.
I proposed that he didn't have the information to backup his accusations and I (kindly) asked him to cite examples. Notice I have yet to state my opinion, one way or another, on this matter, unless you are the type of person that is lead by assumptions.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LatiosXT and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group