Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: file extentions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:34 am 

Good Afternoon All
What file extensions can be safely deleted? and how do you find them ? I did a virus scan and some extensions came up as potential virus but it could not clean them
Thank You
Ed

Post subject: One solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:47 am 
BANNED
BANNED

I would first try and look in the Windows explorer, then search for the file that the program came up with... just because one file was infected, does not mean that the rest of those file types are dangerous... unless they are a virus file...

- find it in Windows explorer and delete it from there
- make sure you can access ALL the files on your computer, folder trees so you know where and what files to delete.
- Most files can be cleaned easily... If you do some Google search under "erase unnecessary files" or the like, you will find some way to free up some disk space and get rid of those files you don't need.

Post subject: one more thing to find files
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:53 am 
BANNED
BANNED

also for extentions, you can type in Windows explorer

(ie: type *.bmp for all bitmapped files)
(basically-- Search : *.extension name)
the window would say something like

1.bmp
picture.bmp

because you told the computer *. which means All files with this extension. It will work if you type *.wav, *.mp3, and any other type you can imagine (if those files are on your comp.)

however, if you were to go *.*, the search would list every file on your computer (less the hidden files)

Post subject: Re: One solution
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:54 am 
BANNED
BANNED

RadRay12 wrote:
I would first try and look in the Windows explorer, then search for the file that the program came up with... just because one file was infected, does not mean that the rest of those file types are dangerous... unless they are a virus file...

- find it in Windows explorer and delete it from there
- make sure you can access ALL the files on your computer, folder trees so you know where and what files to delete.
- Most files can be cleaned easily... If you do some Google search under "erase unnecessary files" or the like, you will find some way to free up some disk space and get rid of those files you don't need.

:idea:
Just make sure you re-run your anti-virus program just to be sure

Post subject: Re: file extentions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:12 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

EdH wrote:
Good Afternoon All
What file extensions can be safely deleted? and how do you find them ? I did a virus scan and some extensions came up as potential virus but it could not clean them
Thank You
Ed

First, disregard everything that Radray said for the moment.

Ok. We're going to need quite a bit more information in order to help you. For starters....

What virus program?
What virus?
Specifically, what did the virus program say?
What file types did it say were infected?

Post subject: Re: file extentions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:11 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Hi EdH,

Gadget wrote:

First, disregard everything that Radray said for the moment.

To clarify, what RadRay said could have you deleating files you want to keep (he sorta said that but not strongly enough). So you normally won't go that route unless you are an advanced user who knows EXACTLY what files you are looking for. Otherwise you could make things worse, not better.

So gadget is right, we need more info.

Message to Ray: Start simple, work your way up. For all we know the files got quarantined but could not be deleated. So we need more info.
You're takin' the long and dangerous route.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:32 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Hi Ed

<What file extensions can be safely deleted? and how do you find them ? I did a virus scan and some extensions came up as potential virus but it could not clean them>

Me thinks there could be a tad of confusion with your post. Not likely the file extensions are viruses. More like following a virus scan, certain Files having certain extensions came up as potential virus threats. There are many file types used to build a virus.

Lets say your virus scan turns up mydog.vbs (made that up) as a virus like sobig@mm. This does not mean you go looking to delete or blow away every file with a .vbs file extension. If you just start blowing away all sorts of files because of their extension type you will likely blow away parts of your OS and Programs. Not a good thing.

Now as mentioned it would be cool to share with us what anti-virus program provided the results and maybe a few specific file names not just file extensions. Norton AV for example will post a message listing files and state they can't be repaired, the AV software does however quaranteen them, just as was mentioned. This way virus or suspected virus infected files can be safely removed from the quaranteen bin or folder. The fact that an infected file cannot be repaired does not necessarily mean you should go nuts blowing away files simply because of their extensions.

That is about what several of the posters were telling you. I just tried to simplify things a little.

Ron

Post subject: confused one...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:19 am 
BANNED
BANNED

Now you got me confused...

What I was actually trying to say was look up the name that the program gives you... but if you wanted to get rid of any files (actually all files with) that extension, that is the route to go. I was only referring of a way to look up all files of that type, and delete what someone may know to delete...

Sorry for anything gone wrong here... just didn't consider those other factoids :wink: