Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NERO Question ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:09 pm 

I currently have a Cyberdrive CD-RW (16x12x40) which uses the OEM version of NERO Burning ROM that came with it. I have ordered an Optorite DVD+-/RW that is coming with NERO Express 6.

Here is the question:

AHEAD NERO site says that the OEM software will only work with the drive it was packaged with. So, does that mean that I will have to have both versions of NERO on my comp to burn with whatever drive I choose ?

Burn DVD, use NERO Express 6 for the DVD-RW drive.

Burn CD-R, use NERO Burning ROM for the CD-RW drive.

I know the DVD-RW will burn CD-Rs, but I was just wondering.

SPECS:

Athlon XP3000+
1024mb PC3200 Kingston
GeForce FX5900
WIN XP HOME

Thanks for any help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:08 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Quote:
HEAD NERO site says that the OEM software will only work with the drive it was packaged with. So, does that mean that I will have to have both versions of NERO on my comp to burn with whatever drive I choose ?

no, nero express 6 will support both drives

from nero's site:

http://www.nero.com/en/632012038142166.php

"All CD, Combo and DVD recorders manufactured since 1997 should be supported by Nero 6.0.0.0 and higher through our SmartDetect (TM) technology which dynamically detects and supports new drives. The version numbers listed under "supported since" indicate the version from which the drive was officially entered into Nero┬┤s internal drive database. However thanks to SmartDetect (TM) technology, even if a drive has not been registered, it should still be supported."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:43 am 

Thanks. I was hoping this was the case. Now I can get rid of NERO Burning ROM and go with ONE program for burning. Seemed a little bit of a pain to have 2 programs to run the drives.

Once again, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:21 am 
Northwood
Northwood

no problem :)

Post subject: Re: NERO Question ?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:26 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

4everscream2k4 wrote:
I currently have a Cyberdrive CD-RW (16x12x40) which uses the OEM version of NERO Burning ROM that came with it. I have ordered an Optorite DVD+-/RW that is coming with NERO Express 6.

Here is the question:

AHEAD NERO site says that the OEM software will only work with the drive it was packaged with. So, does that mean that I will have to have both versions of NERO on my comp to burn with whatever drive I choose ?

I wouldn't throw away my software just yet was I you. Test it first. That article said nothing about OEM versions, just retail. Some OEM versions of Nero do indeed only work with the drive they came packaged with.

Of course you may be able to update the program you prefer to a full version of Nero which would work with any drive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:47 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Nightcrawler wrote:
4everscream2k4 wrote:

Here is the question:

I wouldn't throw away my software just yet was I you. Test it first. That article said nothing about OEM versions, just retail. Some OEM versions of Nero do indeed only work with the drive they came packaged with.

Of course you may be able to update the program you prefer to a full version of Nero which would work with any drive.

DOH!! good catch :)

when I read that I was thinking "coming with" meant bought an oem copy along with the drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:52 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

4everscream2k4

sorry dude, :( I miss read your post...Nightcrawler is right, the oem copy that comes with your drive probably won't work with any other drives

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:36 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

4everscream2k4 wrote:

Burn DVD, use NERO Express 6 for the DVD-RW drive.

Burn CD-R, use NERO Burning ROM for the CD-RW drive.

I know the DVD-RW will burn CD-Rs, but I was just wondering.

Not always. There has been times where I install using an OEM CD, and just downloaded the latest update for that version (5.5.x or 6.x) and it will work. That way you shouldn't have to have multiple copies installed.