Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XP Service pack 2 and boot up time
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I downloaded and installed SP 2. The first couple of reboots, it took around a minute to boot up - where before it was around 20 seconds. Now, after half a dozen reboots, it's running around 40 seconds to boot up. This doesn't seem normal to me. Has anyone else had this experience? Any solutions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

im running sp2 and i have not seen this problem...you should confirm that your bios is running the cpu at full speed and maybe give some more info on your computer and the problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How do I confirm my bios is running the cpu at full speed? And how would downloading and installing SP2 have affected my bios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:54 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

It wouldn't have. The only thing I noticed that's different about my booting is a Windows 2000 (and XP Pro?) - like black screen DOS screen with a grey bar advancing quickly (like 2 s) along the bottom of the screen before the Windows screen comes up. The bar is blue, where it used to be green, too.

The only thing that SP2 could do to slow boot times is maybe enable security crap that you didn't have enabled before. Without knowing more details about your system, I can't get more specific, but check the Security Center first off, and also see if there are any options you can disable and in control panel like automatic updates and system restore that you may not use.

Sounds like a stretch to go from 20 s to 40s, so check device manager to see if there is a hardware issue with Win SP2, although this isn't likely. It also could be a software thing. Maybe SP2 doesn't like a program which you have set to start with Windows and it is hanging it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I checked device manager. Everything looks ok there. Is it possible there is a conflict with any drivers that isn't showing up in device manager?

I disabled automatic update in the security panel. Everything else in that panel looks ok.

Assuming it is a software conflict, is it only with software that loads up when the computer starts? Is the only way to identify the culprit to turn off all software that loads at bootup, and then turn each on one at a time to check?

Are there any other possible sources of the trouble?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

try defragging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Already tried the defrag route. Didn't help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

the reason i said to check the bios was because maybe your fsb isnt set correctly, that is all. If you look at the screen when it first turns on and it shows you the right processer and speed right you should be good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:37 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Stephen wrote:
I checked device manager. Everything looks ok there. Is it possible there is a conflict with any drivers that isn't showing up in device manager?

I disabled automatic update in the security panel. Everything else in that panel looks ok.

Assuming it is a software conflict, is it only with software that loads up when the computer starts? Is the only way to identify the culprit to turn off all software that loads at bootup, and then turn each on one at a time to check?

Are there any other possible sources of the trouble?

Disabling system restore is OK especially if you have imaged your drive but disabling auto update will not speed up your boot time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So, any ideas why my boot time is stillk twice as long as before? Is there some type of utility software I can use to troubleshoot or identify the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:35 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Maybe your AV program is doing more checks than before during the boot process looking for virii. Maybe you could try the Free Zone alarm instead of using the windows firewall.

If your computer runs fine once it's booted I wouldn't worry about a few seconds. Many fast XP machines take 40 sec or longer to completely boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi there

I haven't installed SP2 yet, but I'm guessing it added some junk to your startup. Here are two things that should speed up your boot times.

1) download Bootvis from here

2) find your "prefetch" folder in the windows directory and delete everything in it.

That should speed things up :)

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I had already disabled the Windows firewall, as I already have Zone Alarm.

This issue is that I made absolutely no changes other than downloading SP2, and my bootup time is now twice as long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:27 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

i went from 28sec to 35sec......and im on an "old" machine...athlon classic 650MHz nad an FIC SD11 mobo.....the way i see it....no biggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:54 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Booradley wrote:
Hi there

I haven't installed SP2 yet, but I'm guessing it added some junk to your startup. Here are two things that should speed up your boot times.

1) download Bootvis from here

2) find your "prefetch" folder in the windows directory and delete everything in it.

That should speed things up :)

Hope this helps

I've been down that road before. First, the SP2 install clears the prefetch folder for you.

I was considering using Bootvis until I did a lot of research on it. If you have XP SP1, the functionality of Bootvis is already built in to the system.

But, to get that functionality to work there are two pre-requisites - the Scheduler service has to be turned on, and the Scheduler has to be enabled.

It monitors all of the programs that are run and updates the list in the Prefetch folder with entries for them. And, once every 3 days when the system is idle, the Scheduler fires off a hidden (invisible is more like it) task:

rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

What ProcessIdleTasks does is update the Layout.ini in the prefetch folder with the .pf entries that are in the folder, then runs the command line Defrag command with the -b switch set. This is a subset of the full defrag and repositions only the boottime modules so they're more efficiently read at boot time. It reads the Layout.ini file to determine the correct disk placements.

Now here's the catch: if your like me, your PC is never truely idle, so the ProcessIdleTasks never gets run. My home PC is never idle. The PC has to be idle for about 30 minutes before that task gets run by the Scheduler. I've confirmed this on my PC at work - the task gets run while I'm at lunch.

The workaround for that is simple: Once every three days, I manually run the "rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks" from Start\Run. Then I follow that up with a full defrag because moving all those files around fragments a bunch of other files. Make sure you use Microsofts defrag, most of the 3rd party Defragmenters don't honor the placements in the Layout.ini file. There is one or two, but they're expensive - unless you have the $s and know which utilities I'm talking about, then use those. Nortons SpeedDisk is not one of them.

When I installed XP SP2, I initially had the same slowdown problem. Doing the little trick above restored the startup speed to pre-SP2 startup times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:00 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I just leave mine on 24/7 so I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've tried all these suggestions. Nothing works. It still takes twice as long to bootup.

Post subject: Me To!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:42 pm 

The same thing has happened to me to after the sp2..my comp used to boot up in like 10 seconds now its like 30-40.. :evil: . Besides that i got no other problems...I have no clue what sp2 did either so.. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:53 pm 

sp2 loads the firewall before the OS, there could be some kind of conflict with it and your bios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

In my case, I disabled the Windows Firewall. I use Zone Alarm.