Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:12 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Troyus wrote:
I was just looking around the net and I came across this AV comparison test sheet. I dont know how exactly the person tested these programs, but it seems interesting. I'm a bit skeptical of some of these scores though...are these accurate? I'm not too sure...anyways, here is the list.

What was the date it was run?

I am surprised McAffe did so well and AVG did so poorly.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:58 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

MantaBase wrote:
Troyus wrote:
I was just looking around the net and I came across this AV comparison test sheet. I dont know how exactly the person tested these programs, but it seems interesting. I'm a bit skeptical of some of these scores though...are these accurate? I'm not too sure...anyways, here is the list.

What was the date it was run?

I am surprised McAffe did so well and AVG did so poorly.

Manta

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but this (or one similar) used to get brought up at Delphi every so often. IIRC, the sample included extremely dated viruses, we're talking DOS on 80286 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:03 am 

I use Norton Internet Security 2004 + Hardware Firewall on Windows XP Pro SP2

I like it. I have never had any problems with viruses or anything. It can be purchased online for approx $50(Newegg has it for $26.99 after rebate). If you just want the Antivirus you can get is for approx. $30(i've seen it as cheap as $20 after rebate)

BTW- One4yu2c, MaxPC only rated AVG's free version higher(9vs8), not because it performed better, but because it was free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:16 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Actually, they rated it higher because as far as viral scanning goes, it performed no less than Norton AND was free. Their con with the free version? It didn't include a spyware scanner.

I rate it higher because in my experience, it has performed better than Norton, caused a noticeably less system lag than Norton, and again because it does at that while being free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:36 am 

ExtremePCs wrote:
BTW- One4yu2c, MaxPC only rated AVG's free version higher(9vs8), not because it performed better, but because it was free.

One4yu2c wrote:
"Actually, they rated it higher because as far as viral scanning goes, it performed no less than Norton AND was free. Their con with the free version? It didn't include a spyware scanner."

I think we are kind of saying the same thing. With me leaning toward Norton, and you leaning toward AVG. :D

The point of my post was to say that MaxPC didn't find AVG's free version to be better at virus scanning that Norton. They BOTH found ALL the test viruses. MaxPC gave AVG a score one point higher(9vs8) because it was free. Personally, I like Norton. So I'll spend my $26.99 on it, and get the little extras like a spyware scanner, etc. I noticed in an earlier post you said you paid for AVG 7 pro. I'm glad it works for you. My post wasn't meant to knock AVG, it was to say that in MaxPC's test AVG didn't find anything(viruses) that Norton didn't.

In my experience with Norton, I personally haven't noticed any system lag. Maybe, it's because my computer is a beast, and I have a smokin fast internet connection. Who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:40 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I got your point, but wanted to clarify for others reading, especially in light of this thread's topic at hand (outdated virus scan results). No matter how you slice you, it's $30 that doesn't need to be spent for equivalent performance. It was more than a simple decision of "hey, this is free, let's give it a 9." A healthy dose of AVG Free Edition and Adaware/Spybot does the trick for anyone not wanting to touch their wallet.

And to clarify, I bought AVG 7 for myself - I use the free version on other systems :)

Post subject: avast
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:11 am 

I switched from avg to avast.

Post subject: Bad news from Norton
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:52 am 

Well, I've been a Norton user for years but I am refusing to buy from them anymore. Starting with version 2005, you can no longer install products on multiple machines. AVG is lookin mighty fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:39 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Norton- product activation required= BAD

AVG- no product activation required, free for same level of antivirus protection, no annual subscripsion fees = VERY GOOD

I've always used Norton in the past, but considering how much it's starting to cost me, I was seriously considering making the switch. Norton's product activation was the final straw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:13 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

To be fair, AVG's paid version certainl does require product activation via license code. If Norton offered a free version, I doubt they would require activation on it.

That being said, Norton doesn't offer a free version, and I personally prefer AVG regardless. Norton's not a bad program by any means, I just found AVG to be faster and more effective in my own experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:49 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

One4yu2c wrote:
To be fair, AVG's paid version certainl does require product activation via license code. If Norton offered a free version, I doubt they would require activation on it.

That being said, Norton doesn't offer a free version, and I personally prefer AVG regardless. Norton's not a bad program by any means, I just found AVG to be faster and more effective in my own experience.

I agree, there's nothing inheritantly wrong with Norton AV. It just no longer meets my needs. I still think online product activation is horribly wrong, there are other ways to protect content. You're software's lifespan is now measured by the vendors success and good will, if they die or decide to pull support for that product, your software effectively dies,(unless you never have to reinstall your apps and/or OS),(Recent case in point is DVD x copy). Granted, I don't see Symantec corp going OOB any time soon, however, by history, they generally pull all product support after 3 years.

Sorry, started ranting again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:07 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am currently using AVG Pro on one computer, and Panda on the other. Panda defintely uses more ram, plus it appears to have disabled Windows System Restore (any time I try to restore, it insists no changes have been made - therefore I can't restore).

In any event, does anyone have experience with Bit defender 8 standard or Kaspersky antivirus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Stephen wrote:
I am currently using AVG Pro on one computer, and Panda on the other. Panda defintely uses more ram, plus it appears to have disabled Windows System Restore (any time I try to restore, it insists no changes have been made - therefore I can't restore).

In any event, does anyone have experience with Bit defender 8 standard or Kaspersky antivirus?

I'm a Norton user. But I've tried Kaspersky Antivirus Personal 5 recently and found it slower thatn Norton. Slower system scans and slower reboots. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:06 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

I'd have to throw a vote in for AVG (free or Pro) as well.

I personally run the free version on friends' machines. I don’t run Norton or McAfee because of personal experience with AVG having superior virus prevention.

I do however keep one other tool in my AV arsenal – and that is CA eTrust 7. eTrust has caught viruses on machines that had all of the above 4 products listed, I pay to have it run on my machines at the house, and for giggles I spent last night downloading some known viruses I had found on a friend’s machine. AVG caught 90% of them, eTrust caught 100% of them, with McAfee / Norton catching less than 70% of them…

eTrust, like McAfee and Norton isn’t a free scanner, so I run AVG on my friends’ computers and then once every month or so – I have them bring their puters over and I scan them from the network using eTrust. The number of times that I catch things has GREATLY been lowered by switching them from McAfee/Norton products to AVG.

If you want a great virus scanner, AVG is superb. If you want a great Scanner for less then $35 bucks, add the Pro version to the mix.

IMHO however, if you want a superior scanner for $55 or less, go with “Computer Associates eTrust” (their current version is 7).

I’ve NEVER been let down by it, and have actually walked down a few dark internet alleys in my day <wink>

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'd still stick with Symantec Anti Virus CE (Corporate Edition) like I said earlier. It does not require activation of any sort, unlimited updates for life.
It's also very small, takes up no resources, but it might prove difficult for many people to get ahold of. I have version 9.02, which is sp2 compatible without the need of applying a patch. Freat program IMHO.

On another note, does anyone have any comments about Trend Micro's PC Cillin Internet security 2k5?