It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XP SP2 Security Flaw
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:32 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Already? Wow.

http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051

Can't say that I'm not impressed, the flaw is such that explorer.exe doesn't check for the zoneID, so anybody can write a virus with an extension of say, .gif, and have cmd command execute it. Hence:

cmd /c evil.exe
can be wrapped as:
cmd /c evil.gif

so a virus writer can write a virus, tag it as, say,seebritneynakednow.jpg when it's actually an executable, some unwitting person downloads it, and opens it and a virus attacks their system.

What irks me is that isn't SP2 supposed to protect you from this? I mean, months of writing and the same old parlor trick is still exposed?

Post subject: Re: XP SP2 Security Flaw
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:14 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Already? Wow.

Can't say that I'm not impressed, the flaw is such that explorer.exe doesn't check for the zoneID, so anybody can write a virus with an extension of say, .gif, and have cmd command execute it. Hence:

cmd /c evil.exe
can be wrapped as:
cmd /c evil.gif

so a virus writer can write a virus, tag it as, say,seebritneynakednow.jpg when it's actually an executable, some unwitting person downloads it, and opens it and a virus attacks their system.

What irks me is that isn't SP2 supposed to protect you from this? I mean, months of writing and the same old parlor trick is still exposed?

Part of the description is a bogus issue (if I read it right). Any OS is vulnerable if the user is willing to run a program from the command line.

Also, I want to try this - because last time I did - it didn't work. I got a warning. Of course all I did was rename a .exe to another extention - and it was months ago. Are you saying its more complicated than that?

Did SP2 actually introduce this or simply fail to fix it?

I will read it a bit closer later.

Bottom line - don't open unknown attachments - I have been able to direct myself to a site (of choice) with a .eml attachment - so I don't even trust those.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:34 am 
Northwood
Northwood

i'd think it's a problem that's introduced. if i double-click on a .jpg file that is a renamed .exe file, i'd get an error from the associated picture viewer and the .exe is never executed.

edit: ok, i just tested this, and it only works in the command line. why the hell would anyone wanna use a command line to run an email attachment?

Post subject: Re: XP SP2 Security Flaw
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

MantaBase wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Already? Wow.

cmd /c evil.exe
can be wrapped as:
cmd /c evil.gif

Part of the description is a bogus issue (if I read it right). Any OS is vulnerable if the user is willing to run a program from the command line.

Also, I want to try this - because last time I did - it didn't work. I got a warning. Of course all I did was rename a .exe to another extention - and it was months ago. Are you saying its more complicated than that?

Did SP2 actually introduce this or simply fail to fix it?

I will read it a bit closer later.

Bottom line - don't open unknown attachments - I have been able to direct myself to a site (of choice) with a .eml attachment - so I don't even trust those.

Manta

Failed to fix it actually. cmd ignores zoneID information, so a bad attachment with can set things on fire for a Windows box. I think the irony is that it should have been fixed with SP2, since this is a fairly common way of spreading viruses.