Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Backup Disappeared
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Last week I created a Windows 7 Pro image to an external USB drive. I then migrated my C: drive to a new Samsung 840EVO drive using Samsung's migration tool. Everything went smoothly and has been working fine for the past week until I noticed this today.

When I try to open the backup utility, I go to control panel>backup and restore, and the next window opens but all it shows is a blue panel on the left side that has a link to Control Panel Home, and the rest of the panel is just a white screen the says, "Back up or restore your files" at the top - nothing else.

Is there a simple way to get this utility back?

Steve

Post subject: Re: Windows Backup Disappeared
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:23 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I would guess it is still there--because why would you or an app have removed it?--just pointed to a directory who's name has changed as far as the drive letter is concerned. Check its location setting. Set the drive location back if I am correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The only place I can find Backup and Restore is in control panel, and when I right click it, there's no selection to view the properties. I've done searches, but they all lead back to Control Panel. I looked in Programs and Features, but there's nothing there either that might be Backup and Restore.

This was the only reference I could find: %SystemRoot%\System32\control.exe /name Microsoft.BackupAndRestore. Control.exe simply loads Control Panel and /name Microsoft.BackupAndRestore is simply the shortcut to the applet.

I'm now wondering if I copy control.exe from my old drive to the new one, if that will fix it. Do the control panel applets reside within control.exe and that's why I can't find Backup and Restore as a program?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

No the backup should be there.

1. I assumed you made sure the backup was there with Windows Explorer?

2. Did you remember to click the Safely Remove Device before removing the device? Because that would account for a disappearing file that was there and now is not.

edit: Dense me, it is not the backup that is missing off the external drive, it is the backup app missing from the C: drive. Correct?

Run a SFC /scannow from the Run box. That should repair the install. If not then do a repair install.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Did some experimenting last night and found that the problem is with running Back and Restore from Windows 7 booted from my SSD.

When I boot from my old hard drive, I can run Backup and Restore from that drive, and when I drill down Windows Explorer to the SSD, I can run Backup and Restore from that drive as well. So, Backup and Restore has been fully migrated to the SSD and is fully functional.

It's only when I boot from the SSD that it doesn't work. In fact, if I boot from the SSD, and then drill through Windows Explorer to Backup and Restore on the old hard disk, Backup and Restore still won't work.

So, it works fine on the hard drive and the SSD when the OS is booted from the hard drive, but it won't work on either drive if I boot from the SSD.