Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win7 Pro guest to admin account access?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I need to get into the admin account from the guest account and don't have the password. It is my laptop.

I doubt anyone's going to buy a laptop with guest-only access, and I'm not using it anymore because it's old, broken, and the wireless network device isn't working (part of the reason I need admin access is to access services). I don't have the password to the admin account, so I'm going to have to hack into it. I have another Win7 PC I can use to create a recovery disc if that is something that would work; the laptop I'm using doesn't have a disc drive, and the USB one I have is unreliable (i.e. fails in the middle of playing movie discs and copying data, etc). If I can use a USB drive without too much trouble, it might be an option. I'd rather not destroy the installation I have since it's a tablet PC and has a bunch of proprietary software that I don't want to search for, but I'm already backing up the documents on the drive in case that's what has to happen. From what I've read in the comments section, the sticky keys hack is a total failure for PCs that require passwords to copy into system32, which is the case with the victim laptop.

I think there's an open source hacking tool out there I can use, one that requires learning how to use two other utilities in addition to itself, but it might be worth it compared to losing another DVD-R (from now on, I'm only getting RWs, even though they're generally slower media; kind of expensive if I keep losing discs due to the software on them failing or needing updates, or if I'm no longer using the software).

Post subject: Re: Win7 Pro guest to admin account access?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I wonder how you own a laptop that only has guest access and not know the admin password, because that would imply you've been using this without triggering UAC (unless UAC is disabled then ooookay.)

I would try something here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ ... dows-7.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:25 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I guess UAC is disabled. I'll try Ophcrack first.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofth ... acksbs.htm
If you want the long sad story:
Spoiler: show
This is an old laptop that my brother owned. He told me the password a few times a long time ago (probably two years at least), but it's been out of use since it was broken. The power switch and the rear AC adapter were broken due to multiple physical drops and due to repetitive stress on the rear connector. My brother bought a new laptop and didn't want to sell the old one, and forbade me from speaking of the laptop ever again because it annoyed him. So I didn't, and left it up to him to do whatever with it. My brother died. This left the laptop for me to do whatever with it, since my parents wouldn't have even gotten as far as I did with the repairs.

I bought a complete replacement for the bottom of the laptop, in the process breaking the touch controls for volume and some other stuff, the middle nub pointer, the speakers, and possibly wireless connectivity. I bought a micro SATA adapter, which I've discovered works as intended. I'm in the process of copying the entire contents off of the main drive. Once I get the admin account unlocked, I'm going to try to fix wireless connectivity by checking the services, or by connecting to the Internet via Ethernet (assuming Internet connectivity via Ethernet works), I'll update Windows and see if Troubleshooter can determine why the wireless adapter or wireless connectivity is offline. Once I'm done attempting to fix the drive, I'm going to delete user files, temporary files, IE history, and uninstall Firefox and delete any Firefox appdata files. Whether or not I get wireless connectivity fixed or not, I'm going to sell the laptop and try to at least break even on the $37 I spent on the bottom of the laptop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

And since you have Pro:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... windows-7/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

FascistNation wrote:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

And since you have Pro:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... windows-7/

Kind of hard to do either of those since they require admin access, which OP doesn't have.

I have another suggestion, since you should be clean-reinstalling a computer before you sell it. Create a recovery USB stick, boot into it, and see there's an option to factory reset. I would also see if you can do it by pressing F8 while Windows is booting, select "Repair this computer", and try to factory reset from there, but I'm pretty sure you need admin access for that. Worst comes to worse, find a way to reinstall Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I downloaded the ISO file for ophcrack, tazusb, and the ISO file for slitaz. I ran tazusb.exe, selected the ISO file for slitaz, and booted to the USB drive. It arrives at the syslinux boot screen, and no further operations are completed. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
EDIT: I used Universal USB Installer and the slitaz cooker ISO instead. I got it to boot into the slitaz OS. So now how do I get ophcrack installed as a bootable OS? Am I supposed to be selecting ophcrack LiveCD ISO as the slitaz ISO instead of the slitaz cooking ISO?
EDIT: I used UUI and selected ophcrack as the ISO to install. It booted into the OS as it is supposed to, and I could use it if I wanted to on the system I installed it on. However, when I tried to use it on the HP 2730p laptop (Gamma), it refuses to boot to the USB drive, even when the laptop drive is at the bottom of the queue and when USB Hard Drive is selected during Multi-Boot. I guess I'm going to have to take the laptop hard drive out of the laptop (again) and install it in the system I know UUI works in, and see if ophcrack will run on the working system (Exaflop).
EDIT: Got the drive out and in. I select ophcrack's automatic mode. It completes, and arrives at the welcome screen. It says, "Run: 'ophcrack-launcher.sh dialog' to search again for tables

tux@slitaz:~$"
I type
Code:
ophcrack-launcher.sh dialog
, and hit enter.
The menu on the next screen reads (I'm not going to type out the whole thing, just the important options):
Code:
Search Search for tables and start Ophcrack
DeepSearch Deep search in meia to find tables
ZipSearch Search for ZIP compressed tables
Ophcrack Run Ophcrack QT graphical interface
Passwords View cracked passwords
Automount Execute automount script (only as root)

I choose Search. It outputs (among other things):
Code:
Did not find the requested table(s) /media/sdd/tables/vista_proba_free/table0.bin
The passwords have been saved in /tmp/ophcrack.txt

The next screen has an option to view saved passwords. I hit enter. It outputs
Code:
Passwords file: /tmp/ophcrack.txt
Press ENTER to continue...

Dangit, how do I get it to display the contents of the file?

Also, unimportantly, when I choose Ophcrack Run Ophcrack QT graphical interface, it outputs:
Code:
No X server running: exiting

I ran Deep Search. This is the output:
Code:
Searching tables in: /media/sda1, sda2, sdd
Tables found: /media/sdd/tables/vista_proba_free/table0.bin
Found one partition that contains hashes: /media/sda2/Windows/System32/config
Starting Ophcrack
4 hashes have been found in the encrypted SAM found in /media/sda2/Windows/System32/config/.
Did not find the requested table(s) /media/sdd/tables/vista_proba_free/table0.bin
The passwords have been saved in /tmp/ophcrack.txt

Long story short, it found tables (but no hashes) in sdd but failed to find the tables in sdd--it's contradicting itself. It found hashes in sda2 and saved the files in tmp, but does not display the file contents.
So I hit enter.
Code:

So I hit enter.
Code:
So I hit enter.
Code:

You get the idea. How do I get it to display the saved passwords file contents?

EDIT: Following the instructions from this page, I input:
Code:
mv /tmp/ophcrack.txt /media/sda2/ophcrack.txt

"This will move the file to the root of the drive Windows is installed on."
Which it did. I opened the file, but it was empty. So I guess the only thing I can do now is burn a CD of it and see if it somehow makes any difference.

EDIT: I burned and verified the ISO image of ophcrack 3.6.0. I chose the automatic start. The site's page advertises it as a GUI tool, but whenever I use it it's a text-based console. I'm back at the same screens with the same options that were present in the USB-based version. I have no idea what to do next with ophcrack.

EDIT: I downloaded the "All Versions" version of ophcrack, which contains the executable of ophcrack instead. It requires a bunch of security overrides for different files. I used the Vista free pro files from the USB drive installation so I wouldn't have to download it again. Hitting Crack does nothing. I downloaded pwdump and ran it, but the window doesn't stay up long enough for me to take a screenshot of it, and it does not output files. I ran fgdump 2.1.0. I'm having to do this on a system with a 3TB drive along with the 120GB victim drive, so it's probably going to take a long time. Right now it outputs
Code:
Starting dump on 127.0.0.1
and no progress is indicated (it's a text console thing without much in the way of verbosity, so I can only assume it's still operating as intended, since no errors are output).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:33 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

fgdump completed, and output its results to a file in the same folder the fgdump zip was extracted to. I selected that file in ophcrack from load > pwdump file, and hit crack. After over 2000 seconds (about 00:33:33 hours), it completed the brute force crack. in the NT pwd field, it says "empty". So what now? There's nothing left to crack, the hash from fgdump has already been cracked. What do I do now? Help please.
Is it possible that the password has characteristics that make cracking it with Vista pro free impossible, and do I need to download the larger rainbow tables? I could actually download the 2TB table if I had to, but I doubt the password is that tough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:33 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If it says empty then the password has been reset to blank which is the original default. You should be able to access Admin now. Where it asks for an password just hit return.