Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "Before everyone loved Windows XP, they hated it"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:20 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -hated-it/

It's interesting to know that pretty much every Windows, except 7, that Microsoft has released was pretty much hated or received lukewarm reviews right out the gate.

Post subject: Re: "Before everyone loved Windows XP, they hated it"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
I wasn't really "in" to computers at that time, I went from Win95 to XP. My guess would be that for power-users and techie types it looked cartoonish, but these were people used to NT (and W2k, NT-based). For your average home user, especially coming off of ME and during an era when PC/Internet usage was still on the rise, XP probably looked nice and inviting. I guess that'll have to make me back up off of the Win8 hate, at least a smidge. (I'm pretty sure appearance wasn't the only issue people had, but the article linked to seems to focus on that. Hi-ho)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey, just like Win8! Sort of.

I think there were other issues that were minor with XP, but piled up quickly that it was quite annoying to use. I don't think XP really took off until after SP1 or SP2.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Hehe. I was doing phone tech support for Time-Warner Cable's RoadRunner High Speed Internet when Vista came out. I remember making bold statements like, "XP SP2 is the only OS you'll ever need".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

First XP had a hard time with hardware compatibility. W2k had a huge problem but was marketed as for server and high end technical pros...16-bit Win98SE (and the soon failed Win ME) was the consumer OS. When 32-bit XP was rolled out for consumers the same problems cropped up on old PCs that did not have drivers or proper drivers. So HCLs predominated.

It is interesting that ME was so terrible that people were ready for a new OS like XP one way or the other. Just as really non-functional pre-SP1 Vista primed the pump for Win7 though not as radical a shift as Win9x to NT based XP was.

As the article says the new interface caused problems but not as much as you might think. I agree SP1 fixed a lot of issues with hardware (exactly what happened with Vista) and put XP on the path to legend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

FascistNation wrote:
First XP had a hard time with hardware compatibility. W2k had a huge problem but was marketed as for server and high end technical pros...16-bit Win98SE (and the soon failed Win ME) was the consumer OS. When 32-bit XP was rolled out for consumers the same problems cropped up on old PCs that did not have drivers or proper drivers. So HCLs predominated.

This I have a hard time believing. There are so many computers that I've worked with that would probably have been better suited for Windows 98 (which is a 32-bit only OS, mind you. Windows 95 was the last 16-bit Windows OS). Well, at least for certain brands. If you were sporting a 3dfx card, perhaps, since they were given the axe around the time of XP's release. Honestly what may have killed it for people trying to migrate to XP was that XP required more resources than what Windows 98 machines happily lived with. Getting XP to run on anything less than 128MB of RAM is annoying.

Quote:
It is interesting that ME was so terrible that people were ready for a new OS like XP one way or the other. Just as really non-functional pre-SP1 Vista primed the pump for Win7 though not as radical a shift as Win9x to NT based XP was.

Looking back on it though, I'm wondering just how bad WinMe really was. Two of my friends had computers with it that didn't give them any grief, but the only thing that was different about their computers than others was that their's didn't have an internet connection. Vista before SP1 wasn't bad either. It was functional, on personal experience since I had a Dell laptop that came with it and it worked just fine. I even loaded it up on my main desktop for a while to see and I had no issues there either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:37 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I had a Vista machine for some time. Driver support was a problem when it came out and IE7 was buggy which caused people to think the whole computer was running poorly. With driver support (and then Service Packs) Vista was a perfectly serviceable OS, not that I wasn't happy when I started running Windows 7, it was everything Vista should have been, much as I imagine (hope) Windows 9 will be to 8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Eh.

Windows 8 is a completely usable, stable OS, Start Screen and all. The only thing people want from Windows 9 is not a better OS. They just want the Start Menu back. It's the only Windows rejected for more or less subjective reasons. I mean, look at the radical change Canonical did with Ubuntu when they switched from the regular GNOME UI to Unity.

Or it'd be no different if you went from Windows 7 to Mac OS X. Both have completely functional UIs, but both have different UI principles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

You're right, and my main objection to Windows 8 is basically "aesthetic". (Oh, and man, people did flip out over Ubuntu. I'm not much on Linux, but there are hardcore fanboys over that stuff just as bad as PC/Mac, AMD/Intel, AMD/NVIDIA, what have you) I've defended Windows 8's guts to people. I firmly believe that it is a, somewhat, superior OS to Windows 7. Actually, I have a big ass AIO with a touchscreen, but hell I never really used it before even with the software designed for it. Someday it'll get retired as a kiosk or something. Anyways, what was I saying? Oh yeah, I'm just grumpy about Windows 8. Sometimes I like being grumpy. Eventually I'll get Windows 8 or 9 and like it, whatever it is. If I want to be able to work on computers (speaking on behalf of the unwashed masses) that means knowing Windows, unless/until a larger shift away from PCs and Microsoft than we have thus far. So, unless Redmond seriously screws the pooch there we go.

(BTW LatiosXT, you worked on MILES gear? Army lasertag?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yessir. I used to work for the company that makes the current generation of that system.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I have installed every Windows OS since Win3. Didn't hate any of them. I never had any problems with them letting me do what I wanted to do. Like change the desktop background image.
I did have a few BSOD's off and on with every OS (a few more with ME and Vista) but they were mainly driver issues that got resolved with a little research and help from this forum site. Also had BSOD's with Win7. Just not nearly as many.
But then came Win 8. I do have to say that I have had 2 BSOD's. But Win8 seems to have 'self corrected' at next start up. I didn't have to do anything. I do let it report back to MS automatically.
Win8 would NOT let me tailor the background images to my liking. I would much rather see pictures of scenery/friends/etc. than what was available. Classic Shell 'fixed' that for me. It also gave me a desktop other than Metro at start up.
I couldn't find the Charms. With no introductory video or an instruction sheet showing what to do, how do to find them and know what they do? I resorted to shutting down my computer by holding the power button in until it shut off. But of course that would get you the 'Windows Did Not Shutdown Normally' the next time you started your computer.
I later found the Charms by accidentally leaving my mouse pointer in the upper right hand corner. Yup, everybody would know that 'Your Power Off button is now hidden. You have to drag your mouse pointer to this corner and click on that icon after it shows up on screen. And further, you have to open Settings to find it.' as soon as they install Win8. Right? No explanation necessary? No guide needed? Did MS assume you would just know where they were and would know how to use them?
Other little twerks are an irritant but I've still got it loaded and am still using it.
I do like the faster start up. That's about the only thing I really liked about Win8 right after install.
I don't like Metro. Never did. Doubt if I ever will. Go ahead MS, change the name. It's still Metro and still unloved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 am 

It seems like there are people hated everything from Microsoft. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
the first one I hated was win 1.0, it lasted two weeks, the first one I liked was actually OS2(not windows). I have used every one of them (windows), but basicly skipped the use of some of them in favor of the one I was used to and didn't need to learn to use a newer one. the only one I didn't buy was ME. the one I used the longest was XP. using Vista 64, upgraded from 32, would upgrade to win 7, but it cost more than 8. and I cannot afford it. (trying to live on SS).