Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cannot set File Associations in Windows 7 Pro
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I can't seem to be able to set the file associations (which tell Windows what program to open for certain file types/extensions) on a Windows 7 Pro computer. I'm setting it with the root/Administrator account, and it doesn't even change the settings (so it's not a permissions issue).

Is there maybe a way to reset all file associations back to the default when Windows was installed? The program in particular I"m having problems with is Solidworks E-Viewer program. The program works fine, so it's not an issue with the program itself either.

Anybody run into this? It's getting annoying. I'm using the "Default Programs" option from the start menu and then using the "Associate File type or protocol with a program" option.

The computer is on a domain, and we are using the domain admin account to configure the computer. Other computers don't have this problem when we use the same procedure. Just this particular machine.

Post subject: Re: Cannot set File Associations in Windows 7 Pro
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The thing with this is that it's all dictated by the registry. So the only way to "reset" all file associations is to have had a backup copy. Other things you can do:
  • Right click on the file in question and select "Open with..." then "Chose default program". If it doesn't show up there, then you'll have to click on the "Browse..." button to find it. Make sure "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked.
  • Look in the registry for the file extension. If it's there, find another one that you know has a default program and copy what that looks like to the entry for the file extension you want.
  • Make a new user account.

Post subject: Re: Cannot set File Associations in Windows 7 Pro
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've pretty much tried the first two, and the last one (create a new account) isn't difficult, but it would mess up our system because I'd have to then redo some permissions stuff and GPO stuff that was tied to that specific user (so I'd like to use recreation as a last resort).

Right clicking and saying "Open With" doesn't do anything.

The only work around now is to open the app you know the file goes with and doing that route, but it takes longer and is cumbersome, especially if you get an odd extension you don't know what it goes to.

I could revisit the registry idea, but last I looked it didn't seem to work right.