Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A small review on a Windows 8 tablet (ASUS T100)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I recently got an ASUS T100, something to upgrade from my Android based ASUS TF700 (Transformer Infinity). And I must say that Intel's Atom has gone a pretty long way from what it was. Windows runs fairly smooth all the time, and what I found really strange is that memory usage is kept pretty low.

For example, here's my Task Manager, with Firefox and about five tabs open, Pidigin, and Skype open.

If I do the same thing with my desktop, Firefox will happily eat 500MB-600MB right away. The total system memory usage does spike up when I use YouTube, but for the most part I don't run into problems with performance. Of course it won't make strides in gaming, and running it on 3DMark 03 pitted it around the GeForce FX 5600 I used to have way back when. But I heard you can at least run WoW or FIFA on low settings. But less demanding games like emulators and such run just fine.

The real kicker though? For $350 starting you also get a copy of Office 2013 Home and Student, which MSRP is $140. Not too shabby.

The specs of my tablet are as follows:
  • CPU: Intel Atom Z3740, Quad core, 1.33GHz to 1.86GHz.
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics (HD4000 based, 4 execution units, 667MHz tops)
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Storage: eMMC based 32GB or 64GB (about 20GB is used up). Storage can be expanded via MicroSD card
  • Screen: 10" 1366x768 IPS
  • Peripherals and Ports: Keyboard and track pad dock with 1 USB3.0 port (included, but not battery), 1 mini HDMI, 1 MicroUSB based charging port (I think it only charges with the charger), 1 Mic, 1 front facing camera, stereo speakers
  • Battery life: ASUS claims 10+, most publications have gotten that with mixed usage and watching movies

So if you're looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet or convertible, I think this is a wonderful little gizmo.

Post subject: Re: A small review on a Windows 8 tablet (ASUS T100)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The memory use you show on Firefox (I think) is the same across the board on Windows systems. I'm using a Windows 7 laptop and my Firefox process starts using 200MB+ of memory only after a few minutes of browsing (no viruses or anything). It's just a characteristic of even the latest release of Firefox. It could become problematic if it got over 500MB usage and you only have 2GB of RAM.

How does the Atom do in general computing tasks? I got a Surface Pro 2 myself which is running the i3 4xxx-series CPUs (I needed the actual dual core so I could run Visual Studio 2012 for stuff) and was curious to see what type of performance difference there is. I'm just curious to see if the Atom quad core is the same as the i3 dual core.

Post subject: Re: A small review on a Windows 8 tablet (ASUS T100)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What I'm seeing on my tablet is Firefox uses a lot less memory than compared to my desktop, which is hinting the memory management system is working really well somewhere.

As far as performance goes, Atom is the bottom tier x86 processor. It's not going to outperform any of the recent Core processors by a long shot. Check out http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Atom ... 427.0.html vs http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core ... 563.0.html

The Atom ushered in the original Netbook days, and that's what kind of performance it's expected to do well at.