Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reasons to upgrade to Windows 8?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:57 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Im getting to the point of the year when I generally will do OS upgrades and re-imaging of my laptop.

I know this may be a controversial issue, but what are some good reasons to upgrade to Windows 8? Windows 7 is working fine for me but I have the Windows 8 Pro full version which I got back in 2012 when it was on sale for $70.

Does Windows 8 handle media (videos, music, etc) better? Is the networking any better? How about memory usage and disk space usage? I have noticed (and this isn't a complaint) but even with a basic install of Windows 7, my system still seems to use at least 2 or 3 GB of RAM for the OS. That's not so much a problem (since I've put in 16GB), but I noticed that after a day or so, the system doesn't seem to release memory very well, and I can't pinpoint it to a particular program, but more the entire system (And there are no viruses or malware, I've already checked that).

Overall, what's people's opinions on moving to Windows 8 at this point (now that it's been out for a year and Windows 8.1 update is available)?
I've checked the requirements and my laptop does exceed them so compatibility is not a concern. I will say that I do NOT like the tiles, and would prefer the Start menu, but that can be fixed with 3rd party apps.

Post subject: Re: Reasons to upgrade to Windows 8?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Throwing the Metro apps out, there's not a whole lot that Windows 8 improves on Windows 7. The two things I do like about Windows 8 are the improved task manager and fast boot. Windows 8.1 however is a little annoying because it's trying to get you to use the cloud services.

As far as RAM usage goes, Windows will scale with how much RAM you have. If you had 4GB of RAM, Windows would go down to using just a little over 1GB. Besides that, having as much RAM used as possible is a good thing. It's when you start hitting the swap file more often than not is when you have a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Boy this is hard. I am not the biggest fan of Win 8, but I'll try to be objective.

Quote:
Does Windows 8 handle media (videos, music, etc) better?

IMO, no. To save some money, Win 8 removed some of the codecs for playing media, specifically DVDs. If you want to play a DVD with Win 8, you'll need a 3rd party app or you'll have to buy the functionality from the Win app store. For people that say DVDs are dead it may not be a big deal, but to answer your question, I believe Win 8 offers less when it comes to media, thus Win 7 is better in this category.

Yes, Win 8 boots up faster when compared to Win 7, but I don't see it being that much of a big deal. I have the BIOS on my main computer set to auto-boot at the same time my alarm goes off (and most motherboards have this functionality). By the time I get to my computer it's up, running and ready to go. If you have an SSD as your boot drive, the difference is 2-3 seconds.

The one thing Win 8 does do appreciably better than Win 7 is handle larger size drives (> 2TB). Win 7 can use 2TB+ drives for storing files, but I've noticed you can't use the built-in Win 7 backup on larger drives. And while this is the issue that impacted me, there can be other circumstances. Win 7's issues stem from the method data is stored (4K v 512 sector size). Long story short, Win 8 is more capable.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly I haven't seen anyone use WMP for any media playback in forever. MPC-HC or VLC handles everything you could possibly encounter and then some.

So Windows' native media player options are kind of moot unless you're without internet.