Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8.1 update question.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:25 am 

I was at the point with my main PC where I was ready to do a clean install of Windows 8 and all of my apps. It seems that we will never get away from that periodic necessity. So I figured it was a good time to give Windows 8.1 preview a spin. Everything went well and is working better than expected.

My question is this - once the final version of 8.1 is released, will I have to reinstall Windows 8.0 first, then Windows 8.1, or will I be able to install the final release version over 8.1 preview. I realize I will have to reinstall all of my apps. Also, on my systems currently still running Windows 8.0, will I have to reinstall apps when I update them to 8.1.

I'm so confused................ :(

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 update question.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it's like any of Microsoft's other previews, you will have to reinstall.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:44 am 

Hmmmm. Well, you didn't really answer my question(s), but that's okay. I'll just have to wait four days and see how it shakes out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well let me explain.

If you've installed Windows 8.1 Preview, it's a trial version with probably no way of actually using it once it's released. The previous preview versions of Windows did this as far as I know. So once the preview version is released, you'll need to reinstall Windows 8 and then apply the final version of 8.1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:18 am 

Turned out to be a moot point. My hard drive crashed (totally unrelated) and I wound up having to reinstall Windows 8.0 and all of the updates as well as my programs. So I just waited for the final release of 8.1 this morning and updated accordingly. So I am now running 8.1 final and everything is smooth as silk. :D

That also answers my second question in that if you are running 8.0, the update to 8.1 is seamless and doesn't impact your programs, settings or data. it took less than an hour to download and update. A couple of minor tweaks and I am running as if nothing ever happened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

pastorbob wrote:
....I am running as if nothing ever happened.

And your opinion of 8.1 vrs. 8 so far? And 8 in general?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:00 am 

My opinion of Windows 8 overall is positive. There was an initial learning curve but I found it to be short. I have never been a regular user of the Start button/menu so that isn't an issue for me. Once I learned the new keyboard shortcuts and some of the nuances of the OS I have had no issues. I've used since its release and have found it to be faster and more responsive overall.

8.1 has some improvements and features that make it an even better experience.

I would rate 8.1 a 4.7 out of 5. Some of the changes made to Skydrive prevent a perfect score.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My only gripe with 8.1 is that there's no easy way to tell the OS to not use a Windows Live account, because I don't want to associate my OS with any of my online stuff. The way I found around this is to enter wrong information in the login field and it should say "Continue without an account"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I intend to wait a while before I update 8.0 to 8.10

1. Release the update for registered users via Microsoft update, and not the Microsoft store please, Microsoft.

2. Why are you trying to setup my system with a master login/password which is tied to multiple functionality? (I would have to use a tactic such as entering a false email address or disconnecting my internet cable prior to final install to avoid the cloud?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

line_test wrote:
2. Why are you trying to setup my system with a master login/password which is tied to multiple functionality? (I would have to use a tactic such as entering a false email address or disconnecting my internet cable prior to final install to avoid the cloud?)

There's ways to disable this before or after you've set things up.

• Be lucky and it never asks in the first place (first computer did this)
  • Enter wrong/false information and it'll say "Continue with a local account" or something. You can't leave it blank.
  • Sign in, go to Charms -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Accounts -> Your Account and switch to a local account.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thank you. On a side note, a bit after Easter of this year, my wife and I traveled in our R.V. up the Western coast into Washington state. We primarily used an "Air-connect" 3g/4g device for our internet connectivity. One gig was like $20. So I, being the tightwad bandwith miser that I am, (At least when it is $20 per Gig.) decided to shutdown as many unnecessary internet functions on my windows 8 laptop that I could. (BTW, the laptop in question originally shipped with win 7 x64 and I upgraded it to Windows 8 for $15 after purchase.) Anyways, I noticed that something, either Windows store, or the tiles were eating up some bandwith upon each login with my "Local" account. What really blew my mind was that Microsoft required me to first switch my "Local" account to a "Microsoft" account before they would allow me to shut down this activity. I then had to switch back to a "Local" account.