Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Setting the EFI System partition size?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

What I really want to know right now is how to create a 260MB EFI System partition. I'm pretty sure the other partitions are sized correctly by the default Windows install. I want to know if the 260MB partition is created by default when an Advanced Format Generation One drive is present, or if it will prompt the user to set the size of the partition, or if I have to size it prior to installing Windows, and then point the installer towards the partition using the command line window during the install.

The other thread on the more general topic of migrating to a new drive received no responses, so I figured I'd split this into its own topic.

This is the closest thing I could find to a solution, but it seems like command line options are doing something that may or may not be taken care of by Windows automatically.
http://1ask2.com/Windows8/UEFI/UEFI.html

Post subject: Re: Setting the EFI System partition size?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It depends, is this a fresh system or an existing one?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:44 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Fresh.
After being transferred four times, I finally got some answers from calling Microsoft. Microsoft's Answer desk gave me a link to this article, which says that Win7 only supports 512B emulation on 4KB sector drives. Apparently I've been using it this entire time on the drive I've got.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018
This hotfix supposedly fixes any issues arising from the emulation.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 35(v=vs.85).aspx

Win8 supports native 4K Advanced Format Generation One drives. I was assured by the entry-level tech that there would be no issues arising from the 4K drive, and that I would have to do jack squat in terms of resizing partitions or increasing the EFI's size to 260MB, and that I would have to wait until issues arose to get support.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If this is a fresh install then Windows will take care of everything when you install it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Thanks for the information Joel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I've been following this guide:
http://1ask2.com/windows8/uefi/uefi.html
I'm stuck at the part that specifies the Recovery partition being the first partition listed; it's important for the partition order to be correct so I can get full UEFI GPT compatibility. There are two reserved partitions. I want to get rid of the first partition, but really everything should be slid backwards by 128MB.

Code:
DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
  Partition 2    Recovery           300 MB   129 MB
  Partition 3    System             260 MB   429 MB
  Partition 4    Reserved           128 MB   689 MB
  Partition 5    Primary           2789 GB   817 MB
  Partition 6    Recovery          4096 MB  2790 GB

EDIT: Turns out that you can't partition the disk from within Windows without it automatically creating an ESP (EFI System partition) as the first one. The writer of the walkthrough mentions that you can only do it through Windows PE (pre-installation environment), which users will get to whether they're using an installation disc or a USB drive. The hdd or ssd must be clean prior to installing. The writer of that article was able to do mass deployments by adding a text document to the installer so the script could be copy-pasted, but I've got only one system it's installing to, so I just typed out everything. The USB drive and my USB keyboard wouldn't work in the PE, so I had to move them from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 ports. I got everything installed like it's supposed to and....
it turns out the link to the ISO I used was for the Win7 N version--which is for a different region. So I can't use my product key. So I have to find a download of the x64 Professional non-N version of Win7 and use Rufus on it all over again.

Anyone know of any links to where I can get a recent version of the ISO? They're hosted officially on Microsoft's digital river site. I already have a product key, so I don't need to bother buying one when the one I've got still has two system installs remaining on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:40 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I used this link, now installing http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59297.iso
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology ... oad-links#