Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BSOD Issue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 pm 

Howdy guys!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this 'Blue Screen of Death' issue I'm having. Attached is a picture of the exact screen error; I could be playing a game via Steam, Origin, non-client based (Battlefield 3, SimCity 5, Crysis, etc), surfing the web, listening to music with everything else idle, and so on and it will give me that problem at random times. My own research told me that its because the CPU is being over clocked and its just a bad clock but my CPU isn't over clocked so that shouldn't be the problem (there wasn't any other suggestions other than that). I've tried doing clean installs of Windows just in case there was a program that was causing that by some off chance and it did it even before I installed anything other than drivers. I did just in case though run a CPU burner test over night which gave no problems (CPU was liquid cooled if that makes a difference in that info to anyone). So... I'm just stumped, haha. Does anyone have an ideas?

System Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1//64bit retail
Intel i7 920 CPU (not over clocked)
8GB RAM
550W Ultra PSU
EVGA GTX 460SE
EVGA SLI 3 motherboard (just updated to the latest BIOS and reinstalled chip set drivers right after BIOS upgrade)

Post subject: Re: BSOD Issue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well if we had a look at http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000101 , it tells us three things are possible: 1. BIOS bug 2. Driver problem 3. Hardware defect.

I'm going to rule out 1, because if there was a bug in your BIOS, it would've happened earlier, and you have a relatively old part. But if you're feeling paranoid, you can update it to the latest version anyway. For number 2, well, just make sure your drivers are up to date. For 3, if this is the same hardware from day 1, then is your computer clean from dust and all that? If it is, then something else might be a problem, you should see if you have spare parts to replace with and test. If it's any help though, the third value in the BSOD is the address of which hardware is screwing up.

Either way, you've found one hell of a doozy to troubleshoot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Well if we had a look at http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000101 , it tells us three things are possible: 1. BIOS bug 2. Driver problem 3. Hardware defect.

I'm going to rule out 1, because if there was a bug in your BIOS, it would've happened earlier, and you have a relatively old part. But if you're feeling paranoid, you can update it to the latest version anyway. For number 2, well, just make sure your drivers are up to date. For 3, if this is the same hardware from day 1, then is your computer clean from dust and all that? If it is, then something else might be a problem, you should see if you have spare parts to replace with and test. If it's any help though, the third value in the BSOD is the address of which hardware is screwing up.

Either way, you've found one hell of a doozy to troubleshoot.

I did number one before I became a member of the community so plus one for me being paranoid, haha. As far as drivers go that is all taken care of as well; graphics card I've used official and beta Nvidia drivers. The case, heat sinks, and fans are all cleaned once a month. The main components were all open box items however (not used or refurbished) so it could be hardware based but I've had these parts since they were pretty much released and only until recently had the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You know, just for fun since it's always a culprit I like to blame (because it's always a problem child for me), try replacing the PSU first.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:04 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
You know, just for fun since it's always a culprit I like to blame (because it's always a problem child for me), try replacing the PSU first.

I'll definitely will try that. Once I get a new one and check the theory I'll report back in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:40 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

What does the minidump say?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:57 pm 

FascistNation wrote:
What does the minidump say?

To be honest I do not know how to read minidumps. I know how to access them and I see a lot of them in the folder but I have zero idea how to read them. I tried using Google to find out how and every place I found said to use WinCrashReport for nirsoft which I tried but that program isn't able to find any of the 'dumps.' Tried using 'Open with.." after right clicking on the 'dump' files to use WinCrashReport but it still didn't pull any up. I bet I'm doing it wrong so...lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 am 

HOw is the safe mode?

Try reset the Bios default, check RAMs by using a paper rubber to clean the RAM pins.

Scan the HDD using chkdsk c: command.

Hope these helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc. :)