Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Would this have alleviated Microsoft's Windows 8 woes?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 am 

I'm curious how things would have been if Microsoft had included a "Classic Mode" checkbox during the install process for Windows 8. While I have done my best to embrace the new interface, I'm STILL blown away that they didn't integrate "Classic Mode" into Win8 SOMEWHERE. Sorry if this has been said a million times over... ;)

My impression of the upcoming, now confirmed, return of the Start button and boot to desktop functionality in the Blue update: http://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU

Post subject: Re: Would this have alleviated Microsoft's Windows 8 woes?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm still going to ask people something: did they even use the Start Menu like a menu? Or did they just open it up and use the search feature?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am 

I have trouble nailing people down on that one too. From friends and family, I think they just used whatever icons were on the desktop. Their Start button literally gathered dust...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

And to be honest, the Start Menu feels outdated. There's a ton of UI problems that exist with it now that should be addressed, like:

• It gets annoying to navigate through some times as the targets are small. At least Vista fixed this by not having the accordion style that made it especially annoying when you had two columns. But now you have another problem: you have a limited view and a long list.
  • It gets cluttered exponentially fast when you install applications. Like why do I care about a shortcut to the help file? That's called pressing F1 in the program! Or why do I need a shortcut to uninstall it?
  • There's no easy way to organize it unless you go into the folder where it's located.
    • Except good luck with that, as there are actually two Start Menu folders, one for the user and one for everyone, and the Start Menu just combines to the two

I found Apple's app management better. Just a repository for the executables and nothing more. Want to uninstall it? Drag it to the trash.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I don't care that they replaced the start menu/home screen.

I care that they replaced the start menu/home screen with an interface designed for touch screen.

It is not designed for keyboards/mice.

Even the on screen text is designed for touch screen. "Tap here" for media mount options?

Or swypes. Touchpads sort of make sense. Touchscreens definitely. Mice? No.

The OS is smart enough to know if something is a touchscreen, or a standard display.

What's going to be in Windows 9? An interface designed for Kinect?

n0b0dykn0ws

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

While the semantics could've used work, I would argue that Metro is usable on a mouse. And some of the UI designs are better for a mouse, at least as far as reducing miss-hits thanks to larger targets. Who cares if scrolling is horizontal?

My problem with the Start Screen is that Microsoft made you go out of your way to do things. Like where's the Control Panel? How do you shut off your computer? How come when I search I don't get control panel items? That sort of thing.

And also Metro apps, just because the desktop paradigm is so ingrained in our minds. And there's no obvious way to close them.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 am 

I get the impression that they took a very "let them eat cake" kind of attitude... Control Panel? Why do you need to change anything "under the hood"? Shutdown? Just leave your computer on (it goes in Sleep Mode) or just hit the power button. All in all, it's quite a pickle they've gotten into and I think if proper leadership had been at the helm it wouldn't be near the snafu that it is now. But anyway...would something as simple as "touch screen detect" or "check here for desktop mode only" have saved them all of this trouble? I just wonder...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:28 pm 

Its obvious that Windows 8 was made for the tablet and the desk top PC was forgotten and left on the side of the road.I mean why would they be releasing their own tablet at the same time they were releasing Windows 8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:08 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Cybershaman wrote:
I'm curious how things would have been if Microsoft had included a "Classic Mode" checkbox during the install process for Windows 8. While I have done my best to embrace the new interface, I'm STILL blown away that they didn't integrate "Classic Mode" into Win8 SOMEWHERE. Sorry if this has been said a million times over... ;)

My impression of the upcoming, now confirmed, return of the Start button and boot to desktop functionality in the Blue update: http://youtu.be/5NNOrp_83RU

Agreed! I would have purchased win 8 in a heartbeat if it had win 7 interface with aero!! I really hate the phone interface...IT IS FOR PHONES AND PADS/TABLETS NOT PC'S!

The bunch of Jackasses that made these decisions at Microsoft, should be fired!

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Boot to desktop and a traditional Start menu would have made Win8 a no-brainer for me (and you can keep your comments about my Vista system to yourself Nasty :) ). I like to keep my desktop pretty clear and I use the Start menu all the time, lots of programs pinned to it, besides using it for the Control Panel and other miscellany. Win8 as an OS is fine, but not enough of an improvement over 7 to make the hassle of Metro worthwhile. I agree with Latios that the Start menu could use some improvement, Win8 would have been great with a revamped Start menu holding shortcuts to the executables without a lot of the other cruft. The desktop looks a little odd without Aero. The Start screen is usable with a mouse, more configuration options like those coming in 8.1 will make it better but it's still kind of a pain. Do I have a point here....umm, on reflection, "No". It's late, I'm tired, I'll stop now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:52 am 

n0b0dykn0ws wrote:
I don't care that they replaced the start menu/home screen.

I care that they replaced the start menu/home screen with an interface designed for touch screen.

It is not designed for keyboards/mice.

Even the on screen text is designed for touch screen. "Tap here" for media mount options?

Or swypes. Touchpads sort of make sense. Touchscreens definitely. Mice? No.

The OS is smart enough to know if something is a touchscreen, or a standard display.

What's going to be in Windows 9? An interface designed for Kinect?

n0b0dykn0ws

I disagree that the home screen is designed for touch in order to do a search you just start typing. That typing can only be done on a keyboard. What the home screen is is a place to launch both fat client (desktop apps) and thin client metro apps. Windows 8 is designed to add touch if you have the screen and desire to use it. 90% of all touch laptops have screen sizes < 15". There are a few 15" to 15.6" laptops with touch but their are 0 - 17.3" laptop with touch. Intel release the Haswell i7 and the OEM's are putting the in non-touch gaming machines. 8.1 will allow a user to boot into the desktop and never go to Metro if they prefer.

The future of the desktop will be determined by how many desktop apps get converted to metro thin cleint apps. I see desktop in Windows 9 but completely gone in Windows after that.