Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

MS released the techical preview of its newest OS. They liked the success of Apple's OS X operating system they decided to name theirs Windows 10, skipping Windows 9. Kidding, I think about OS X, but not about the name Windows 10.

Download link contained here:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... u-want-it/

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... e-desktop/

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... t-century/ [I like this which means they won't keep it.]

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft_toss ... stead_2014

Come on marketing: Windows 11.

Last edited by FascistNation on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I think it's been posted to death now, but the theory on why they skipped Windows 9 is because a lot of programs would check if you're using Windows 9x by literally searching for a "Windows 9" string anywhere in the Windows ID string.

I played around with it last night. I like the subtle changes they did to the UI on top of the obvious ones. Like for instance, there's a large shadow underneath the windows and the window creation/destroy animation is just a flat fade effect instead of popping in/out. Oh and borderless Windows.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:18 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I have it running on a computer that I use for my ham radio. I used a salvaged 5400 rpm hard drive from a laptop that had quit running. Also using onboard graphics as I don't need higher end graphics for ham radio software.
The rest:
ASUS P8H77-I H77 Mini ITX
Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 3.0GHz
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
Got 10 installed and it seemed rather sluggish. Seemed I was always waiting for something to happen after I click on anything. Decided to reinstall on a SSD.
That made a big difference. Now it isn't sluggish anymore.
So on with the exploring. I see that they (MShaft) have changed the name of some things yet again. They have also changed where to look for some programs also. I wish they would stop doing that.
On the old start menu there used to be Computer. Well it isn't Computer any more and it isn't on the new start menu either. It is now called This PC and, like I said, isn't on the start menu.
There's more. Explore and find out for yourself.
There is one new feature that I am liking right off the bat. Which means that it will probably not make the final version. You can edit the start menu very easily. If you want to remove a start menu item, right click on it and you can then unpin it from the menu. Also, if you want to add a program, right click and pin it to the start menu.
I'm already editing my menu as I find programs I want there or install programs.
I have not done much more than that for now. Still exploring.
I did have a problem with one game but a driver update 'fixed' it.
I'm loath to reinstall my ham radio programs as it is a collection of software from various vendors that needs a lot of tweaking to get everything to work together. It was a PITA the first time. So it will be again.
When I decided to use this computer for 10, I just swapped drives. When I want to use my ham gear I'll just plug in the drive with it on there.
Anyway, first impression for 10 is favorable for now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

dedgar wrote:
So on with the exploring. I see that they (MShaft) have changed the name of some things yet again. They have also changed where to look for some programs also. I wish they would stop doing that.

I heard it's because the old semantics don't make sense or are redundant, then again they really should stop doing that anyway, it ruins all the instructions. Like the reason "My Computer" was changed to "Computer" was because... well duh, it's your computer. Doesn't explain why they changed it to "This PC" in Windows 8 though.

Quote:
On the old start menu there used to be Computer. Well it isn't Computer any more and it isn't on the new start menu either. It is now called This PC and, like I said, isn't on the start menu.

In the Taskbar and Start Menu properties, there's some option in the Start Menu properties where you can have system shortcuts pinned there. Why isn't it there anyway? Because they pinned Explorer on the taskbar by default.

I don't mind, I just press Win+E every time I want another instance of Explorer or Win+Pause/Break if I need to pull up System properties.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I haven't explored 10 very much. Probably less than an hour total. Most of that was the initial install on the laptop hd and then the reinstall on the SSD.
I'm sure we'll find more things that have been modified somehow. I haven't even looked at the Control Center yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Hhhhmmmmm...........
I have the home screen spanned across two monitors. One half of the image on each monitor.
But I also have two task bars. One at the bottom of each screen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I have two programs I need for my ham radio equipment to 'talk' to each other neither of which seems to want to install correctly in W10. I've tried running as admin but to no avail.
First is Virtual Audio Cable. It sets up two audio paths for software comms with the computer for digital modes. An in and an out. It is necessary, really.
When I install the program I can set up two lines but only one is able to be selected. So I can't select Line 1 for input and Line 2 for output.
The other program is com0com to set up com port pairs for equipment control. It installs and runs but when I look in Device Manager none of the com ports have a designation of what number they are. (com 1/2/3 etc.)
More for MS to look into fixing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is it really the fault of Microsoft or the developer of that app? It's really easy to say "this works on Windows X but when I updated to Windows Y, it broke" when in fact the program itself used something that was altered for some reason or another and the program behaving odd is a side effect (most of the time the program used that something incorrectly, but it just happened to work)

An example I can think of is DPC Latency Checker where in Windows 7 it worked just fine, but in Windows 8 you couldn't get below 1000us. Clearly Microsoft fudged up and the kernel sucks because of high latency! No, Microsoft changed the kernel timers so it could schedule things more efficiently.

Plus it's a tech preview, things could be missing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:48 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I know that there will be software that just won't work due to changes in coding that outside developers haven't kept up with.
I also know that this is a very early version of what will finally become W10.
Both of these programs work fine in W7 and can work in W8/8.1 with a work around that isn't very hard to do.
I just submit the problems I find to MS and go from there. Is it a MS problem or not? I can't say. Problem found. Problem reported.