Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Repeated failure on Windows 8 updates
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I have been trying to setup a system for home use that is Windows 8 Pro. The first dozen or so updates go fine, but then after that it refuses to install updates. Not even one at a time. I've tried a few different updates and they all fail as well. Has anyone encountered this? I need to get updates installed because I like to make a clean disc image of my entire HD prior to using it in case I need to restore the OS or something similar.

The concern that I have is that most updates that it offer (about 50%) fail to install. Windows Update worked fine without issue for about the first 20 updates, which were patches and .NET updates. AFter that, they started failing. Now it's at a point where I can't even install 1 update.

I did install Norton on the computer prior to doing updates, but this has happened to me on other computers, even those running Windows 7 and with different AV programs.

Not to mention, to get the first 20 updates to stick, it installed them, then reverted back and uninstalled them, and then re-installed them again. I ran into similar problems at work with a computer. A computer where it had an OEM copy of Windows which I purchased when I purchased the hardware, and what would happen is it would update, and then when you go look at the update history, it would only show maybe the last 10 updates and that was it, even though I had installed about 90 updates.

This is getting to be stupid. Even more funny is that the last WinXP full install I did a few weeks ago for someone, Windows Update works perfectly fine on there, no issues--and that's an ancient OS by today's standard. I personally think that PC resellers (such as BestBuy, TigerDirect, Frys) should sell PCs without operating systems as well (not a barebones kit, but a name brand system without the software). Then the buyer can choose what OS they want installed (Linux or Windows--and if Windows, what version they want). I think that with all the issues people are having it's sort of dumb that if you want a new PC, you have to get Windows 8.

I think that if MIcrosoft backed down some, they wouldn't be such a big target.

Post subject: Re: Repeated failure on Windows 8 updates
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:47 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

XP is a well oiled machine. The kinks have been long ironed out so it is not surprising it "just works." But it is rapidly approaching its end of life in ten months. I would be very reluctant to install it for anyone who intends to use it with an Internet connection.

Win8 is fairly new and so still has bugs, issues, ect. though not that many that involve the code. Most are self inflicted wounds in typical MS fashion that hopefully 8.1 will resolve...but I am not optimistic.

Try MS' Fix-It.

There is also the mostly useless troubleshooting guide ....

Post subject: Re: Repeated failure on Windows 8 updates
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I'll try the MS Fix-It tool, but I've noticed this too: it also happens on different Internet connections, so it's not internet-connection related, and it's also happened on some Win7 upgrades (fresh installs, though) that I've done lately, although not as bad, so it's not specific to Win8 in my view. I'm using retail/OEM media, so not really an issue of malware or viruses.

I'm a bit of a security freak, but should I maybe disable realtime scanning for the AV app? Windows will install most updates, but about 20% of them seem to just fail, with the AV on, so I wonder if that will even matter.