Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anti Virus
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:25 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I want to know what you think is the best antivirus. AVG didnt work for me, even after i updated it it didnt catch viruses that other programs caught. Is panda any good???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:44 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

I use Norton's. Some may not like it but it has always caught any virus, trojan, or worm that came my way. AVG is also very good. I'm surprised it didn't work for you.

Are you talking viruses or spyware cause all antivirus programs do not stop spyware, only a few do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:22 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I'm also surprised, and quite frankly find that hard to believe. But to answer your question, yes Panda is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:28 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Yeah i am talkin about viruses not spyware. I use adaware for that. I hate spybot. But anywaze I scanned my whole system with avg (yes it was updated) and then with antivir xp and that caught viruses. I think i am going to puchase panda though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:46 am 

I have also seen AVG fail, expecially where it hasn't been updated and the virus gets entrenched before AVG is updated to even see it as a virus. I've also used AVG on my home machine for the past 6months and have found the free version to be very nice as long as it is updated daily. I haven't had a bit of trouble. My business customers are all on Symantec Norton network AV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:05 am 
Northwood
Northwood

im also suprised that AVG didnt work for you. hmmm it works for me pretty good and finds every virus i get even though i dont even get any virus really, like probably once or twice. well ive been using mozilla and its been good. IE, nah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:56 am 

I use Adaware, Spybot & Spysweeper because it invariably takes all 3 of them to clean a heavily infested machine.

My main beef with AVG is that the scheduler isn't flexible. If no one's logged on during the specified update time, it doesn't get updated.

I hated Antvir within 30 mins of installing it. Avast! has a decent update routine, but its mediaplayer-like interface leaves much to be desired.

I'm currently evaluating NOD32 and Symantec corporate to replace my resource hogging NAV2003 with. Both seem decent. They just bought NOD32 for the school division, but I suspect that had more to do with the cost of the licensing compared to Symantec more than anything else.

I'm wondering if anyone here is running multiple AV programs at once under win2k or XP?

I've tried various combinations on my test beds, and have only ever had 1 case where the system went utterly weird on me (no idea if the AV was the cause or not).

It seems to me that so long as you only have 1 resident scanner running, you can have more than one AV program installed. I've use the second one to get a second opinion on suspicious files and to do scheduled scanning on days opposite the primary program's schedule.

Still not had the courage to install a second AV on my main machine, however. There's just far too many posts-o-doom on the subject.

<=T=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:53 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

do not install more than 1 anti virus product at a time. ive done it and its not pretty, trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:54 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Talon wrote:
My main beef with AVG is that the scheduler isn't flexible. If no one's logged on during the specified update time, it doesn't get updated.

which version is this? i find version 7's schedule quite flexible, much better than version 6 (free version uses the version 6 engine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Free AVG 6 can be updated manually just like any auto updater and times set up (just not quite as flexible with shedueling). There have been server dat slow updates though, because they are concentrating more with the paid version. Alas - but I have server code update (A fix) if you need it to get much more frequent updates if anyone should need it.