Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Want to reinstall windows, don't want to redownload games...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm 

I have my hard drive split into two drives, primary of 75gb for the windows installation and programs.

The second partition is the d: 400gb and I keep everything on it including my games.

I have ~10 games that aren't on steam that I can reinstall (but would rather not) but the rest of my games are all on steam. I don't want to re-download them because it'll take a life time to do so with my connection.

What's the best way to reinstall windows (I plan to format the c: so it'll be a clean slate, leaving d: with all my stuff on it) and be able to play my games after installing? I know you can save the registry entries but it's been since windows xp since I've done that and I don't know how many entries or where they are for each game in windows 7. I'm no newbie to the registry and am not scared of it, perhaps if there was a program that could point out where the registry entries are?

I've had this windows installation going for years now and it still runs acceptably but I just feel like there is a lot of junk installed I don't want that's hard to get completely rid of. Plus something is up with how some of my video files play that I'm not liking, I figure it's easier to just spend ~hr to reinstall windows, ~20 minutes to reinstall the programs I use with ninite.com and just be up and running again on a clean install.

I didn't post in free-clinic because this isn't a problem, I'd just like it to be easier if it can be :o

Post subject: Re: Want to reinstall windows, don't want to redownload game
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Back up your Steam\steamapps folder somewhere that isn't going to be on the partition where you will install Windows. When you reinstall Steam, put the steamapps folder back in or make a symlink to it.