Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: compare windows 8 windows 7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 am 

I am currently using win 7. I want to upgrade to win8. who has used both could give me some advice? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: compare windows 8 windows 7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's a mind blow. It's Win7 w/ touchscreen ability, they mess up everything you've learned so far about using the mouse, and simply adds the ability to mount an ISO.

IMO, it suuuuucks. Win7 is still the perfect OS IMO and there's no reason to downgrade to Win8 unless it specifically has something that it adds to it that you need. You know there was a Beta program that may still work? You can give it a shot, but I think you'll be just as lost with the GUI as everyone else.

"Think Mac"; They tried to unify the OS. It's great for Windows Phone, Windows Tab, but you're just lost on the desktop. IMO, Win7 Pro-64 OEM is still the OS to use if you're paying for it. $140.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chumly wrote:
It's a mind blow. It's Win7 w/ touchscreen ability, they mess up everything you've learned so far about using the mouse, and simply adds the ability to mount an ISO.

Only if you choose to stay in Metro land. Otherwise it works more or less the same with a new skin.

The only annoying thing is some Start Menu things are a bit more annoying to get to. Control Panel? Windows Key + X to open up a menu that has it. Shut down? Windows key + I to open up the settings. Unless your power button is set to that.

I use Windows 8 as my primary. I don't see any jarring reason to go back to Windows 7. All the horrors were basically blown way out of proportion. But you know, I'm the crazy one. I actually enjoyed using Vista enough to make it my primary too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm 

I switched to windows 8 on my media PC early November. Right away I liked it, it felt clumsy at first, but once I figured out some of the simplicity and some of the new features I really started to like how fluid it felt to me. I should say that on that machine there are two monitors. So when I saw that I could get windows 8 pro for 39$ on my production machine i jumped at the chance.

That machine has a Cintiq and a monitor on it, and it is also the computer that I run my games through. Right away I noticed that Painter 12, Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS 6 "felt like" they run smother and the Cintiq seems to have also benefited. I really don’t see a need to ever go back to Windows 7.

In my opinion Windows 8 is fantastic. Just keep an open mind and get to know all the ins and outs. You may get tricked into downloading a Skype app or a skydrive app, or some other app that is more usable in windows mode, just remember that there is always a desktop version , and if your intention is to use it in desktop mode , then that’s the one you want to use.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I just hope and pray this Metro look doesn't catch on!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:35 pm 

gascash1,

I originally installed Windows 8 a couple of days after its release as a clean install. I had it installed in less than half an hour and all of my apps reinstalled in a couple of hours with all updates. That includes some heavy duty programs.

It took me a few days to learn the ins and outs because some of the more common features are moved. But the shortcut keys make every feature I ever used in Windows 7 readily available and I am very pleased with it overall. While I understand the frustrations many users have with the Start menu being removed I do not miss it myself since I rarely ever used it in Windows 7 or earlier versions. I am able to navigate Windows 8 more quickly overall and my applications run more smoothly and faster. Boot time is significantly reduced for me as well. And it never crashes. Desktop widgets from Windows 7 are no longer available but I don't miss them. The Task Manager is greatly improved and provides more info than previous versions.

I have installed Windows 8 on three different systems now and have not been disappointed. It runs just as well on my dual core three generation old laptop as it does on my quad core Sandy Bridge desktop. On my desktop I have three 21.5" HD monitors running off of my discrete graphics card that Windows 8 recognized and configured correctly the first time I booted it to them from the driver without any special tweaking required. The Panoramic desktop background is nice eye candy.

Networking works much better and my Homegroup doesn't have the quirks and disconnects that it did in Windows 7.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:26 am 

Windows 8?
Why put more adware on your desktop, Are you not happy with just the advertizing on your tablets too?

Image (Click for full view)