Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dell REcovery partition question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ahhh the hand holding here is quite endearing. LXT, you again go above and beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
Expand the OS out to fill the rest of the empty space, then shrink it by 100MB.

Got it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

kleinkinstein wrote:
Ahhh the hand holding here is quite endearing. LXT, you again go above and beyond.

While I've built a couple of computers, I've never messed around with the Dell laptop partitions - never had this issue before. I greatly appreciate the "hand holding", as I most certainly don't want to hose my laptop. I'll do my best to pass it forward when I get the opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Awesome attitude with the gratitude. That's why we do what we do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I probably need to get off my "tired old man" mentality too :P

Let me know how this goes. I had to do this when I upgraded my laptop's HDD to an SSD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I checked the partitions on my desktop, for comparison. It's a recent DIY build, which I used an upgrade disk to install Windows 8, same approach as the laptop (told it to keep nothing, then re-installed all the software, documents, pictures, etc which I had backed up. On the desktop I have two partitions: The C drive, which has "System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, and Primary Partition" listed; and an "unallocated" partition. I created a system recovery disk and have backed it up with a system image. I use the Windows backup software to back it up weekly.

I've been operating from the premise that having the "System" stuff on the same partition as the other stuff is ok since I have the recovery disk and the backup. Is there a reason not to go the same approach with the laptop? Or conversely, should I move the "System" on the desktop to a separate partition?

This is a whole new part of computer building/maintenance for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The whole idea of keeping the system part on another partition is because if your OS partition goes kaput, you'll get a "Insert boot disk" message on start up. The only way to get out of this is to have a recovery environment in the form of a Windows Install disk or a bootable USB drive that has a recovery image on it.

If you have it separate, then you can at least go into the recovery environment and say restore from a system image.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

LatiosXT wrote:
The whole idea of keeping the system part on another partition is because if your OS partition goes kaput, you'll get a "Insert boot disk" message on start up. The only way to get out of this is to have a recovery environment in the form of a Windows Install disk or a bootable USB drive that has a recovery image on it.

If you have it separate, then you can at least go into the recovery environment and say restore from a system image.

So right. And to take preventive maintenance one step further, only install the OS and drivers in the C: partition (only need 30GB or less depending if you slipstream your installs) and install all your applications on the D: partition. Thus if you need to quickly install a new or updated OS, you don't need to then also reinstall the apps/programs too. The W7 and W8 registry is smart enough to keep all things ordered and accounted for across countless partitions. Also allows for full app portability too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:30 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:

Won't the repair disk I created cover me if the OS partition goes kaput, and it has the system part on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

kleinkinstein wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:

So right. And to take preventive maintenance one step further, only install the OS and drivers in the C: partition (only need 30GB or less depending if you slipstream your installs) and install all your applications on the D: partition. Thus if you need to quickly install a new or updated OS, you don't need to then also reinstall the apps/programs too. The W7 and W8 registry is smart enough to keep all things ordered and accounted for across countless partitions. Also allows for full app portability too.

I haven't gone quite that far, though on my desktop, I have my OS and applications on the SSD and my documents/pictures/music/etc on a separate hard drive.