Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Why is Windows Explorer so f*ing stupid?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:19 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
Hey all. I was uploading photos to my web gallery when I realized that I had already moved all the photos to seperate folders for the galleries they were going to without converting them to jpgs.

So I figured, What's the big deal?

I went and batch converted all the photos using Irfranview, one folder at a time. I put the new jpgs in with the tiffs.

Now I had about 20jpgs and tiffs in about 8 folders. All I had to do was add the jpegs to zip files to upload them a full gallery at a time.

Then I realized I had a problem. Windows was calling all the photos "Paint Shop Pro" files. What the F*CK is that? That's not a f*ing file type! Jpeg is a file type, tiff is a file type, "Paint Shop Pro" is not a F*ing file type!

I was about ready to scream. So, I went into Paint Shop Pro and found that it had no problem discerning the Tiffs from Jpegs. So, I moved all of the Jpegs into a new subfolder within PSP, then added them to zips.

Now, here's the next problem. When Windows made each zip, it made them the name of the last file. Damnit, window is so stupid! Zips should be named by the folder they are in, not by one of the file names! So, I had to rename all of the zip folders everytime a new one was created.

I don't know, Windows had just been pissing me off recently. I've tried Linux, but maybe I used the wrong distro, things were never easily done in there.

Anyone know of a way to get Windows Explorer to act the way it used to? Using file extensions as the types? It's so damn frustrating to get all your avi's, mpeg's, and mp3's all called "Winamp Media Files" or some crap. Damnit, an mp3 is an mp3, and an avi is an avi!

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:23 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
By the way, Id do some fiddling with it and found that I can unhide the extension of the filenames. The problem is that they are all still considered a "Paint Shop Pro" type or a "Winamp Media File" type. This makes it very difficult to sort files by their type.

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:31 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 485
Location: Redmond, Oregon, USA
Belboz99 wrote:
By the way, Id do some fiddling with it and found that I can unhide the extension of the filenames. The problem is that they are all still considered a "Paint Shop Pro" type or a "Winamp Media File" type. This makes it very difficult to sort files by their type.

Dan O.


Open Paint Shop Pro. Go to File, Preferences, File Format Associations, and simply uncheck any files you do not want to be permenantly associated with PSP. Don't worry, you will still be able to open them with PSP. They just won't do it by default.

Oh and by the way .psp is a file type native to Paint Shop Pro.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:18 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
Nightcrawler wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:
By the way, Id do some fiddling with it and found that I can unhide the extension of the filenames. The problem is that they are all still considered a "Paint Shop Pro" type or a "Winamp Media File" type. This makes it very difficult to sort files by their type.

Dan O.


Open Paint Shop Pro. Go to File, Preferences, File Format Associations, and simply uncheck any files you do not want to be permenantly associated with PSP. Don't worry, you will still be able to open them with PSP. They just won't do it by default.

Oh and by the way .psp is a file type native to Paint Shop Pro.


That wasn't exactly what I wanted. I still want the files to be associated with PSP, but I don't want Windows Exlorer calling them a PSP file type, and then using that to sort by.

Imagine you have 50tiffs and 50jpgs each sharing the same file names, becuase one is simply a different version of the other.

Now you want to take all the jpgs and upload them to a webpage. The logical thing to do is sort by file type. But guess what? Windows gives all photographic images the "Paint Shop Pro" type, even though some are jpgs, some are tiffs, some could also be psp's, and some could be gifs.

I know that one can sort by size in the scenario listed above, because all the tiffs are much larger than the jpegs. I could also sort by date becuase the jpgs were all made at once off of the tiffs, thus the tiffs were created at an earlier date. But it's just not logical!

What happens when I start mixing tiffs and PSPs, which have similar file sizes, and they were created on mixed dates? What do I do then? I can't possibly ctrl+ click all the lesser common files out if I have over 50 of each, it would be far too time consuming.

Why on earth doesn't Windows call a jpeg a jpeg, a tiff a tiff, an avi an avi, and an mpeg an mpeg? It shouldn't be this freaking difficult!

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:27 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
Let me make an anlogy,

Lets say your name is John, and you have a friend named Fred. You also have a Freind named Sally, and friend named Jane.

You and Fred both go to the University of Illinois, Sally and Jane both go to Northern Illinois University.

Suddenly, people stop calling you John and your friend Fred, and start calling both of you University of Illinois Students.

Also, nobody calls Sally Sally anymore, or Jane by her name Jane, instead they all call them both Northern Illinois Students.

Now you want to look up Sally in the phone book, but instead there are 10,000 people by the name of Northern Illinois Students, they all have differnent ages, and different heights, but that's all you can find her by, is her age and height, becuase there are 10,000 people all by the same name.

Jane has similar problems finding Fred in the phone book, becuase there are 10,000 people by the name University of Illinois Student. Of course she can find him by age and height, but that's all she can find him by.



Do you see how freaking illogical this is?

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:17 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 485
Location: Redmond, Oregon, USA
Belboz99 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:
By the way, Id do some fiddling with it and found that I can unhide the extension of the filenames. The problem is that they are all still considered a "Paint Shop Pro" type or a "Winamp Media File" type. This makes it very difficult to sort files by their type.

Dan O.


Open Paint Shop Pro. Go to File, Preferences, File Format Associations, and simply uncheck any files you do not want to be permenantly associated with PSP. Don't worry, you will still be able to open them with PSP. They just won't do it by default.

Oh and by the way .psp is a file type native to Paint Shop Pro.


That wasn't exactly what I wanted. I still want the files to be associated with PSP, but I don't want Windows Exlorer calling them a PSP file type, and then using that to sort by.

Imagine you have 50tiffs and 50jpgs each sharing the same file names, becuase one is simply a different version of the other.

Now you want to take all the jpgs and upload them to a webpage. The logical thing to do is sort by file type. But guess what? Windows gives all photographic images the "Paint Shop Pro" type, even though some are jpgs, some are tiffs, some could also be psp's, and some could be gifs.

I know that one can sort by size in the scenario listed above, because all the tiffs are much larger than the jpegs. I could also sort by date becuase the jpgs were all made at once off of the tiffs, thus the tiffs were created at an earlier date. But it's just not logical!

What happens when I start mixing tiffs and PSPs, which have similar file sizes, and they were created on mixed dates? What do I do then? I can't possibly ctrl+ click all the lesser common files out if I have over 50 of each, it would be far too time consuming.

Why on earth doesn't Windows call a jpeg a jpeg, a tiff a tiff, an avi an avi, and an mpeg an mpeg? It shouldn't be this freaking difficult!

Dan O.


You're not making much sense here. A jpeg is a jpeg and a tiff is a tiff. If you sort by file type they will not be together even if they all have the same icon.

Sounds like you need to go to any folder and click on tools, folder options, view, and uncheck the box in front of "hide extensions for known file types". Then when you sort by type all the jpegs will be together in one place.

Look at the extension on the end of the file name.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:46 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
Nightcrawler wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:
By the way, Id do some fiddling with it and found that I can unhide the extension of the filenames. The problem is that they are all still considered a "Paint Shop Pro" type or a "Winamp Media File" type. This makes it very difficult to sort files by their type.

Dan O.


Open Paint Shop Pro. Go to File, Preferences, File Format Associations, and simply uncheck any files you do not want to be permenantly associated with PSP. Don't worry, you will still be able to open them with PSP. They just won't do it by default.

Oh and by the way .psp is a file type native to Paint Shop Pro.


That wasn't exactly what I wanted. I still want the files to be associated with PSP, but I don't want Windows Exlorer calling them a PSP file type, and then using that to sort by.

Imagine you have 50tiffs and 50jpgs each sharing the same file names, becuase one is simply a different version of the other.

Now you want to take all the jpgs and upload them to a webpage. The logical thing to do is sort by file type. But guess what? Windows gives all photographic images the "Paint Shop Pro" type, even though some are jpgs, some are tiffs, some could also be psp's, and some could be gifs.

I know that one can sort by size in the scenario listed above, because all the tiffs are much larger than the jpegs. I could also sort by date becuase the jpgs were all made at once off of the tiffs, thus the tiffs were created at an earlier date. But it's just not logical!

What happens when I start mixing tiffs and PSPs, which have similar file sizes, and they were created on mixed dates? What do I do then? I can't possibly ctrl+ click all the lesser common files out if I have over 50 of each, it would be far too time consuming.

Why on earth doesn't Windows call a jpeg a jpeg, a tiff a tiff, an avi an avi, and an mpeg an mpeg? It shouldn't be this freaking difficult!

Dan O.


You're not making much sense here. A jpeg is a jpeg and a tiff is a tiff. If you sort by file type they will not be together even if they all have the same icon.

Sounds like you need to go to any folder and click on tools, folder options, view, and uncheck the box in front of "hide extensions for known file types". Then when you sort by type all the jpegs will be together in one place.

Look at the extension on the end of the file name.


Did that!

Here's a screenie for you, note the arrow under "type" that shows that they are being sorted by type.

Image


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:47 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
BTW, I could show similar screenies of what Win Explorer does to Winamp Media Files, Windows Media Player files, just about anything.

Dan O.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:01 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 485
Location: Redmond, Oregon, USA
OK, I do see what you mean. I also have Paint Shop Pro but I did not let PSP steal my file associations. When I sort by type they are sorted with all jpgs together like they are supposed to.

My recommendation is to unassociate your picture files from PSP. They will still be able to be opened by PSP. Just not by default. If you don't want to do that you may have to live with it.

I wish I could have seen the rest of the column "type" to the right in your screenie to see what comes after "PaintShop Pro 8 Im..."

Oh and by the way windows isn't what is doing this to you. Paint Shop Pro is.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:40 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:10 pm
Posts: 5203
AFIK, PSP isn't the only thing. Winamp does it too, along with Windows Media Player.

I think everytime there are multiple file types associated with a peice of software this happens. I still think it's Windows.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.