Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual Boot Windows 7 / Windows 8 Slow To Reboot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

A few days ago I installed an OEM version of Windows 8 64-bit on my machine. This proved to be a challenge, as I first had to convert a GPT disk to an MBR disk (thank goodness for the internet and Google!), but that's another topic...

As I wanted to preserve my current installation of Windows 7, I installed W8 on a separate drive, creating a dual-boot system (my Sager laptop is a triple-boot system). So far, so good. I then discovered I have to unplug most of my USB devices now in order to boot (the BIOS hangs, which wasn't a problem before I installed W8), but at least I can now boot into either W7 or W8.

However, rebooting is now much slower than it was before. After I enter my BIOS password, some sort of W8 boot program loads slowly. It then gives me the option of choosing W8 or W7, with very pretty graphics. When I select W7, the system goes through a complete restart, requiring me to enter the BIOS password a second time. It then finally loads W7.

This is not a major problem, but it does annoy me, as I have to reboot every day or two. Does anybody know how I could get back to the old W7 way of dual booting? Would doing a repair from the W7 DVD do the trick? Any utility programs out there that could fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Post subject: Re: Dual Boot Windows 7 / Windows 8 Slow To Reboot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Riddle me this: what's the feasibility of having both OS's on one disk instead of separately? I'd like to point at bootloader shenanigans and it might have an easier time if both OSs are on one disk.

Post subject: Re: Dual Boot Windows 7 / Windows 8 Slow To Reboot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm 

Not sure if you worked this out or not yet since it's a month old

Just installed windows 8 dual boot last night and it appears a good portion of windows 8 is loaded into the background when you get that fancy screen - and when you select windows 7 it restarts so all that windows 8 stuff is cleared and the bios has to post again. A really stupid idea for managing dual boot if you ask me. Here's what I found:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/22/use-th ... ot-system/

Quote:
Press Windows to go to the start screen and type cmd in there. Right-click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator from the bottom command bar.
Run the following command here and press enter afterwards: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
Restart your operating system afterwards. You should now see the legacy boot manager and not the Windows 8 Boot menu.
You can use the following command on the command line to restore the Windows 8 boot menu: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
You should get a “The operation completed successfully” confirmation after running one of the commands on the command line.