Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spybot sucks!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've been using Spybot since it was first mentioned in MaxPC, and I run it once a week to check for spyware. None have been found in 2 months, so I figure all is good and that the Imunize is working its mojo.

Tonight I went searching the internet for info on servic pack 2, and got sent to a site that obviously setup just to install spy ware. It changed my home page, tried to install 3 viruses, and installed 5 programs. I only knew about the programs because at startup one would pop up asking me to do a search of my computer for pr0n :p Power scan I think it was called. I did everything I could to get rid of these programs. Then once I figured I did all I could do I ran spybot. Obviously spyware was installed. Spybot found nothing! I have it updated and everything, it gave me the same results as I have been getting for 2 months. I figure either spybot sucks, or something was put on my system that disrupted spybot.

In any case I went and got Ad-aware and it cought 117 spyware problems!

Anyone else have problems with Spybot like I had?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:25 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I run both from time to time. Neither will catch everything, but it is better than nothing. Some of the "programs" that you are talking about might be more along the lines of a virus rather than spyware. What AV proggy are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:35 am 
Northwood
Northwood

i also run both adware and spybot for spyware and both get rid of them. also if i recommend AVG for a really good anti-virus program, better than norton in my experience. if you dont have an anti-virus i recommend AVG. there is another spyware program called hijackthis but be very careful what you delete in this program. if you delete something that is not suppose to be deleted, it can mess up your comp.

Post subject: Re: Spybot sucks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:01 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Griffin wrote:
I've been using Spybot since it was first mentioned in MaxPC, and I run it once a week to check for spyware. None have been found in 2 months, so I figure all is good and that the Imunize is working its mojo.?

have you updated your Spybot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

On v1.2 you would sometimes get a message saying you were up to date when really the server was full.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:43 am 

Are you using version 1.3? If not, download from here. If you install TeaTimer also, part of Spybot S&D, you will have some added protection.

If you're looking for something new check out Prevx. It is in Beta now, but free for home use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

DaFlake wrote:
I run both from time to time. Neither will catch everything, but it is better than nothing. Some of the "programs" that you are talking about might be more along the lines of a virus rather than spyware. What AV proggy are you using?

I use Norton AV, none of the spy ware checked out as viruses, but perhaps someone hacked/ disabled my spybot. Anything is possible I guess...

keymaker wrote:
there is another spyware program called hijackthis but be very careful what you delete in this program. if you delete something that is not suppose to be deleted, it can mess up your comp.

Thank you for the tip ;)

cigar3tte wrote:
have you updated your Spybot?

I would always update it, and checked every week for anything new.