Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Odd Message When Deleting Cookies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am 

Don't know if this should have gone to the Free Clinic, but seems more appropriate here, so here goes.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1. When I'm doing routine maintenance on my systems, one thing I do is is run Disk CleanUp. After that finishes, I go through the folders that should have been cleaned out and manually delete the rest of the junk that for some reason was left behind.

When checking for cookies, I go to Users>"User Name">App Data>Roaming>Microsoft>Windows>Cookies (which is usually empty)>Low. The Low folder usually has a ton of cookies. When I select all of them and right click the selections, I get a Windows message that says my Internet secutity settings are preventing 1 or more files from being opened, so it won't let me delete the files. This doesn't make sense since I'm the only user and running as administrator. The really odd thing is that I don't get the message if I only select no more than 16 cookies. With 16 or less, they'll delete normally, but when there's a lot of cookies, this is a real pain.

Does anyone know why this happens, and if there's a way to get rid of them all at once?

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Odd Message When Deleting Cookies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you have UAC enabled, all user initiated actions are actually done in user space (at least, I think that's how it's supposed to work), even if you have admin rights. This could also just be some protection scheme, but I don't know.

You could try some command line magic (make sure to run it as an admin) to force delete these files, which conveniently is del /Q /F [file]. Or you can try del /Q /F *.txt. This is basically delete all files ending in .txt, don't ask me anything (/Q), and force delete anything read-only (/F).

Just be careful with this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:47 am 

I think I'll stay away from the command line...can be a little too dangerous, especially since I don't back up nearly as often as I should. Just really wierd that I can delete up to 16 of them with no problem, but 17 or more and it balks.

Oh well, seems no one else had any ideas, so it looks like I'm stuck this way. Maybe I'll post to the free clinic and see if I get any hits there.

Thanks for your response though,
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Sounds to me like you're on a 16-bit version of windows. You should upgrade to 17-bit, 32- or even 64-bit to batch delete more files. Ha! I crack myself up, even without smoking crack.

Actually, to follow on from LatiosXT, you should know that format c: works wonders on more than 16 files as a time. And del *.* really dispenses of files quick. But please don't try either one without adult supervision and a fresh backup handy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm 

A joker in every group :lol: