Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie: Limits of multi-tasking in WinXP Pro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:04 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi all,
I asked this question in a NG but they ignored me. How do you know when you are opening too many apps ? I like to multi-task but of course, I have crashed/hung many times from this. Yes, I know the obvious answer is "don't multi-task" but I'd like to know how, when using Task Manager for WinXP Pro, you are about to crash or hang from multi-tasking. Thanks for your time.
Steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:12 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

it really depends on what you are multitasking and what you are multitasking with?

for example I have a old PII 400 w/ 512 it running my shoutcast server, with the shoutcast server up, a couple internet explorer windows grinds the thing to a halt.

but my main computer is 2+Ghz w/ a Gig of DDR, I can literally have PhotoShop, Illustrator, outlook, 10 browser windows open and the thing doesn't hardly blink. but if I then tried to play a game with a the crap running it could be bogged down indeed.

I guess mainly what I'm saying is mess around a bit, find what your pc can and can't take by playing about with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:35 am 
Klamath
Klamath

maddingo wrote:
it really depends on what you are multitasking and what you are multitasking with?

for example I have a old PII 400 w/ 512 it running my shoutcast server, with the shoutcast server up, a couple internet explorer windows grinds the thing to a halt.

but my main computer is 2+Ghz w/ a Gig of DDR, I can literally have PhotoShop, Illustrator, outlook, 10 browser windows open and the thing doesn't hardly blink. but if I then tried to play a game with a the crap running it could be bogged down indeed.

I guess mainly what I'm saying is mess around a bit, find what your pc can and can't take by playing about with it.

FWIW, my system:
OS: Windows XP Professional SP 1a or Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official
MB: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200
Memory: 1.024 Gb DDR2
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA
BIOS: Award 6.0
4 case fans
Antec SOHO Server Case
PS: 400W

Post subject: Re: Newbie: Limits of multi-tasking in WinXP Pro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

newbiesteve wrote:
Hi all,
I asked this question in a NG but they ignored me. How do you know when you are opening too many apps ? I like to multi-task but of course, I have crashed/hung many times from this. Yes, I know the obvious answer is "don't multi-task" but I'd like to know how, when using Task Manager for WinXP Pro, you are about to crash or hang from multi-tasking. Thanks for your time.

oh yeah, forgot to mention that I've been doing this for about 8 years now. Never got curious enough to ask until now.

Post subject: Re: Newbie: Limits of multi-tasking in WinXP Pro
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:45 am 
Northwood
Northwood

newbiesteve wrote:
Hi all,

if the CPU is steady at 100%, things are gonna slow down. also, you can check the Task Manager for RAM usage, and see how much free RAM you have left.

from experience, P4s multi-task much better than Athlon XPs.