Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win XP to Win7 64 bit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm 

Hey guys,
I know this has been answered about 10,000 times, but give me a refresher. I am still using XP and am about to finally go with Win7 64 bit. Can i use the upgrade version (about $110) to upgrade XP to WIN7 64-bit or do I have to but the full retail version (about $190)? I don't want to use the OEM version, because I upgrade my system on a regular basis and don't want to have any hassles from Microsoft.
In researching Microsoft's product base, there are instructions for using the upgrade version to go from Vista to Win 7. Does the same apply for XP, using the "Custom Install" instructions that Microsoft put out? I am going to install a new hard drive in the process of upgrading my system. Should I first put the new HD in, transfer all the drive information to the new HD, then do the Win7 install or do something different?

Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Win XP to Win7 64 bit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Windows XP is a qualified product, so you can use the upgrade. Going from 32 to 64 is going to require a clean install anyways (the installer is 64 bit), so do back up your stuff.

The custom install is relevant if you're installing from the upgrade media without having XP previously installed. In which case, you can do a 2nd install for the upgrade, or do the reg hack method to force the key through.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 pm 

Does you system support the 64 bit hardware acceleration if yes just go on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Btw, its a good idea to do a clean install of win7 64, specially when you are coming from a 32bit environment. It can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, you can continuously do upgrades to your computer without hassle even if you use a win7 oem copy. And besides, if it took you this long to upgrade from XP to win7, it really doesn't seem like you upgrade too much on a regular basis.... hehe

Even then, if the key gets tagged by windows as being invalid from too much upgrade, you can always do a phone registration that takes literally 5 mins to do. It just re-evaluates the key and gives you the green light.

One more thing, if you do use win7 upgrade and use the xp key, you will loose your xp key forever. Even then, you can install win7 without consuming your xp key, but it does require more steps and a fresh install; which is still recommended.

Quote:
I am going to install a new hard drive in the process of upgrading my system. Should I first put the new HD in, transfer all the drive information to the new HD, then do the Win7 install or do something different?

It depends on which drive is faster. Post your specs of the drives. If your new drive is faster, then just do a clean install of win7 on that. You can do this with the upgrade by installing win7 twice; it will just detect a previous windows was installed and install again without needing your xp key. If your old drive is faster, then plug in your 2nd drive, partition it, format it and transfer your files; then format the original drive and do a clean install.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:02 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

To upgrade from XP, it is really very simple. Backup all your important data. Put the win7 oem disk in...yea buy the oem, you will be just fine :wink: boot up in the install environment and choose custom install. Delete the partition, create a new partition, format and install to it. When it comes time to put in the win 7 key, don't, just continue and complete the install. Now install over the installation you just completed without formatting, this time enter the key and you are good to go. It is just that simple. I have done this method for myself and friends in the past that went from XP to win7.

Nasty