Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question on PC being part of Windows domain
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm moving this question from the Network Nook here to see if I get any results...

Anyway, when you have a PC that is part of a Windows Server domain, can that same PC also be able to access a wireless LAN for internet access via a wireless card? Would the Windows domain prevent the PC from accessing the Wireless network, even though it connects to a domain through the wired NIC?

I'm asking because perodically, we will loose Internet access due to our ISP, and what I've thought about doing is just using my tablet to allow my computer to access the Internet via a Wireless card and my tablet's ability to act as a wi-fi hotspot (but not the entire domain).

I am aware that a PC can be part of two separate networks via multiple NICs (presumably one per network), but I am not sure how Windows Server Domains impact this....

Any thoughts? (i have a a decent amount of networking knowledge, but haven't worked with Windows domains too much yet).

Post subject: Re: Question on PC being part of Windows domain
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Unless you're going to restrict use of the wireless card, or the domain uses a proxy for internet access, it 's not going to effect things. and these are things that are setup by the admins, not something that's forced upon you.

Think of how people would VPN in to their home office at somewhere else and that should define your sandbox some.