Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win 8 beta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Anyone run this piece of crapware yet? I am not buying it unless they put back the start button and program menu like in win 7. I couldn't even figure out how to shut the damn thing down! The first thing I did was set the desktop as default when I boot up. I cannot stand that Metro look...it belongs on a phone, not a PC for crying out load!

So, why do you love or hate this thing? Personally I think they are really screwing the pooch on this one.

Nasty

Post subject: Re: Win 8 beta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Part of me thinks that Microsoft will retain some old GUI features for business use, because a large portion of their user base are business users who hate changing OS's. And if Metro is going to be the way to go for Microsoft in the future, they're going to hard pressed to keep it for said business users unless they either tailor Metro to their model, or dump it entirely (or keep it in the background)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:41 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

They better put the damn start button back where it belongs, so you can at least shut the crapware down!

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:50 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nastyman wrote:
Anyone run this piece of crapware yet? I am not buying it unless they put back the start button and program menu like in win 7. I couldn't even figure out how to shut the damn thing down! The first thing I did was set the desktop as default when I boot up. I cannot stand that Metro look...it belongs on a phone, not a PC for crying out load!

So, why do you love or hate this thing? Personally I think they are really screwing the pooch on this one.

Nasty

RE shutdown: mouse over to bottom right of screen, a bar should pop up along the Right side with 5 icons, the bottom icon includes the power options for restart, & shutdown.

Yea, that's what happens when you try to make an all-in-one OS... IMO, Windows on your phone should be different from Windows on your PC, sure they should integrate seamlessly, but a phone isn't a PC, and a PC isn't a phone, so their OS shouldn’t be identical.

Here’s my phillosophy on Microsoft OS’s, every other one is good & skip the ones in between…

Although I dislike the Metro interface, and the need for AltF4 to close apps, I do like the speed of Windows 8, especially the feature that reduces start-up times from cold shutdown.

I like it… I hate it… it is literally driving me to check out OS X Lion... meaning a friend is getting a MacBook Pro, and I’ll get to have lots of hand’s on time with OS X Lion, something I wouldn’t have been interested in prior to Windows 8 Customer Preview. In the end, I’ll probably just stick with Windows 7 for the next decade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I agree, I am sticking with win 7 for as long as I can too.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

chaosdsm wrote:
I like it… I hate it… it is literally driving me to check out OS X Lion... meaning a friend is getting a MacBook Pro, and I’ll get to have lots of hand’s on time with OS X Lion, something I wouldn’t have been interested in prior to Windows 8 Customer Preview. In the end, I’ll probably just stick with Windows 7 for the next decade.

While Apple isn't being as blatant, they're doing the same thing Microsoft is doing: making their desktop OS more like a mobile OS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I haven't personally, but I'm not impressed with what I see. So far, I'm sticking with Win7 until something better comes out...
I know that tablets are increasing in popularity, but the PC isn't dead yet... maybe in the next 10 years, but not now (and from what I'm aware of, Windows 8 is supposed to be geared towards tablets as well--from what I've read, that an ARM processor support).

I may just do what I did with Vista--wait out the storm until something better comes along. After all, as it seems over the past 10 years, it looks like MS is releasing a new version of Windows about every 4-5 years (at least from XP to Vista to Win7) so I don't mind using Win7 for another 4 years or so (I've been using it since its came out and haven't really had many concerns with it).

Long story short, I haven't tried the beta, and probably won't other than to see what they are proposing... but I don't think I'm going for Windows 8 even with it does release. I'm also not a big fan of cloud-based storage, which I guess Windows 8 is pushing more and more.
I guess I haven't seen enough added features in Win 8 to justify the purchase... Win7 is just now hitting its stride in the market, and I don't really see many benefits for PC users, except for those that want a more simple, smart phone-like interface that is easier to use. As long as MS keeps supporting Win7, which I think they will for at least the next 5 years--probably longer.

I think Windows 8 may be another Vista again.... Just like Windows Me was an early attempt at Windows XP. Like someone said, every other one is a good OS, and considering Win7 is probably the best out there now, I except Win8 to be less than impressive. Hopefully the next version (After Windows 8) will be worth the wait, and have enough benefits to merit an upgrade, because at that time, Win7 will probably be quite aged and due for replacement...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When the first issue came out (Developers issue), once you removed the Metro interface it was win 7 as it is today, only it ran faster than win 7. Now with the Beta, they screwed it all up and is useless as far as I am concerned.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nastyman wrote:
When the first issue came out (Developers issue), once you removed the Metro interface it was win 7 as it is today, only it ran faster than win 7. Now with the Beta, they screwed it all up and is useless as far as I am concerned.

Nasty

I'm wondering if what we're seeing in the Customer Preview is just the "Home" edition & if the "Pro" or "Ultimate" edition will have the ability to disable Metro???

Right now, I'm really only digging a couple of things

1> Very fast installation times - under 8 minutes on the mom's mothers day PC (currently with SSD for OS), and right around 10 minutes on my gaming rig with matched SATA III 1TB drives in RAID-0
2> So far, both PC's finished installation as fully functional PC's, didn't need to install any drivers. Didn't even need separate drivers to install on the RAID-0
3> Very fast start-up times from unplugged to using Windows 20 - 24 seconds on the SSD, about 30 seconds on the RAID-0
4> Sorcerer's Lair (Pinball FX2), pinball was always my favorite arcade games, & this one is pretty good IMO... what else could you play for hours with just one quarter... I mean, I never won free games on Mortal Combat...

Most of the rest leaves a lot to be desired :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I just tried to install it and it won't do it. Something about the partitioned drive having MBR and then something about GPT.
Wasn't paying alot of attention.
Tried to reformat the partition from the install and that wouldn't go either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:01 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Use the hard drives setup software, then try to install windows 8.

Just to let you guys know, there is a reg tweek that removes metro.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows ... menu-back/

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Nastyman wrote:

Nasty

Only worked for Developer Preview, not the current Customer Preview.

With the Release Preview about a month away, I'm praying that Microsoft smartens up & gives us additional options regarding Start Menu & Metro, including dissabling Metro, and going with a Windows 7 style Start Menu.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:56 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

chaosdsm wrote:
Nastyman wrote:

Nasty

Only worked for Developer Preview, not the current Customer Preview.

With the Release Preview about a month away, I'm praying that Microsoft smartens up & gives us additional options regarding Start Menu & Metro, including dissabling Metro, and going with a Windows 7 style Start Menu.

I do not see the corporate work embracing windows 8 unless they have a windows 7 type interface and NOT metro...what the hell are they thinking!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:30 am 

I will try it :D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:11 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

This is precisely the reason I picked up the June issue of MPC.

I'm running it through the Oracle VM box and I gotta be honest: it sucks.

Metro is an unfunny joke. Totally unintuitive. I would really love to delete it.

I do hope this Win8 "consumer preview" is really a pre-beta. Even in Desktop mode, I can't find a standard/classic Start menu. I can't find how to change screen fonts. I already know a lot of my present software won't work with Win8 (nor 7, nor Vista(!)), so there's another $200 or so at least. I would like a standard My Computer on my desktop. Can't find how to put one there.
And without a Start orb/button/menu, I couldn't even find how the hell to shut 8 down, just like Nasty.

If this is what Windows is morphing into, I'll stick with XP. If my bank can do it, so can I.
Windows 8 is not finding its way onto any computer I own on a permanent basis. It's an answer to a question no one asked.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:03 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Okay, I did find something called ViStart at http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ as a very promising workaround.

Since I'm on a virtual machine, I have to find a way to import my presently running software for installation and testing purposes.

Here's an even better one: Classic Shell from Sourceforge! http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by OvenMaster on Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I found out how to access shared folders on my XP host rig in the VM Box settings.

My ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro 5.03(!) works just fine, so there's $80 I won't have to be forced to spend for an update. Right-clicking shortcuts reveals compatibility modes for programs that still go all the way back to Win95, but that wasn't needed.

Unfortunately, I already know my full Nero Ultra Suite 6 won't work, because it isn't compatible with anything newer than XP. That's a shame, as the bundled Nero Wave Editor is far easier and more accurate to use than Audacity.

If I get Win 7 or 8, I'm really hoping my Works 6 suite will run. If it doesn't, I'll need to shell out for a copy of M$'s Excel for the full-page printable charts I need to make for medical purposes. For some reason, neither LibreOffice or OpenOffice still don't offer that capability.
EDIT: Works runs on 8 with no issues.

I'll shut up now so others can chime in on their experiences.

Last edited by OvenMaster on Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Ovenmaster, I run win 7 64 bit. I am running the 64 bit of Libre Office, it runs just fine.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/download-revi ... office-340

I actually like the burn program win 7 has...very simple and it works.

I also installed Baldur's gate for kicks and it runs just fine as long as I shut off Crossfire and run on one video card.

Use compatibility mode when you install old programs and you will have a very high success rate running them. Some just won't run...pain in the ass it is, that is where VM comes into play. :wink:

Nasty

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:28 am 

Thanks a lot for sharing this whole information.Great information posted regarding windows 8 beta which is helpful for many users.Hope you will keep it up in future also.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Nastyman wrote:
Ovenmaster, I run win 7 64 bit. I am running the 64 bit of Libre Office, it runs just fine.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/download-revi ... office-340

I actually like the burn program win 7 has...very simple and it works.

I also installed Baldur's gate for kicks and it runs just fine as long as I shut off Crossfire and run on one video card.

Use compatibility mode when you install old programs and you will have a very high success rate running them. Some just won't run...pain in the ass it is, that is where VM comes into play. :wink:

Nasty

If I go with 7 or 8, I have a feeling Compatibility Mode will be quite useful. I already know it won't work for Nero, so running it with XP in a VM would be great. I'll just have to figure out if it's possible to access a host DVD burner.
My big gripe with LO/OOo is that I can't create and print full size 8.5x11 chart pages like Works or Excel. Quite a few users want this, but the LibreOffice and OpenOffice people refuse to address this issue.