Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is Homegroup?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm 

I've got Windows 7, 32 bit installed on my laptop and have had it on my laptop since Windows 7 came out. When I booted up this evening, I see I've now got an icon on the desktop that I didn't have before. It's called "Homegroup". When I right click to delete it, it doesn’t give me any ability to do so. I Googled it and it appears to be a Microsoft Windows 7 program.

Is it a legitimate Windows program and if so, why haven't I ever seen it before?

Thanks,
Crocket

Post subject: Re: What is Homegroup?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:14 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Its a legit program, part of the local networking feature to share resources and files between the private group of computers on the same local network on windows 7. Learn how to share files here.

To remove the icons you can do a few things that may work.

The easiest solution is to "delete" the icons. If the delete doesn't show for you as you mention, its most likely a user ownership permission setting issue. Make sure your windows 7 account has administration rights, right click the icon, then properties, security tab and then edit your user rights.

Now if you can't get the listed above directions to work, you can attempt to leave the homegroup that you are in. This is accomplished by going to your control panel, network and internet, homegroup and then scroll all the way to the bottom till you see "other homegroup actions". You should have the option "leave the homegroup". It'll pop up with a warning asking you if you want to leave, click "leave the homegroup".

Again, if the above doesn't work, you can try the 3rd way. Back in the control panel, go to system and security, administrative tools, servers and then scroll down to "HomeGroup Listener" and "HomeGroup Provider"; put those services both on disabled. Log out of windows 7 or restart and when you log back on, the homegroup icons should be gone.

If all else fails, you can do the more advanced feature and "surgically" remove them from your registry. Click on your start button and search for "regedit" from the start bar. Then follow these directions:
Quote:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\

In the NameSpace folder, there will be a folder (key) with the name {B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}. The value of the default item should be "Other users". This is the registry entry Homegroup icon. Delete the folder from the registry.

In the NameSpace folder, there will be a folder (key) with the name {031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}. The value of the default item should be "Libraries". This is the registry entry This is the Libraries icon. Delete the folder from the registry.

Go to your desktop and hit F5, the icons should disappear.

If nothing works, last resort is to use a 12 gauge shotgun to the PC.. hehe