Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Full hardware encryption?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 pm 

Hey just got a couple of questions here. I'm currently a university student studying computer science and was just wondering if full drive encryption using truecrypt is really worth it on my windows partition? I don't really have anything that important on my laptop at the moment but I do torrent using it, and it's taken to lectures/on trains etc.. And was just wondering in your opinion is it really worth it for the effort it is?

Was thinking what happens if say windows suddenly becomes unbootable (as it does) I'd normally boot into ubuntu and copy files from the hard drive from that but if the windows partition is encrypted there isn't going to be that opportunity, I'm guessing the only thing that can be done against that is to have a constant external backup? (can anyone recommend any good backup software while I'm at it :P) Also it's a fairly powerful laptop 6GB RAM, core i7, would the encryption show any signs of system slowdown? Especially when doing things like gaming, or wouldn't you be able to tell any difference? Thanks, Adam.

Post subject: Re: Full hardware encryption?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

As a student and a gamer, I wouldn't bother. There is some slowdown at boot, and then there's the recovery issue. You should probably have a backup system for normal use.

For a backup program, Acronis makes a reliable one, and there's always dropbox for your small file needs, such as game saves (the really important stuff :) ) and documents that are hard to replace.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

^ok, for the last time, "Pink Princess Castle 4: Shopping Edition" is not considered gaming... lol, jk

Unless you are working with sensitive data at school with research projects and lab testing (government funded) then its really not worth it to run an encryption program.

As for backup softare, There's basically 4 big name backup programs, Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, Paragon Drive Backup and ShadowProtect Desktop. I personally use an older version of Norton Ghost that works fine, but its pretty limited in features as opposed to what you can get now. When I do upgrade my backup software, I'd probably look at either ShadowProtect Deskop or the freeware DriveImage XML; then use the backup features of a NAS to copy documents and media off the drive on a nightly basis.

ShadowProtect seems like what everyone likes over at PC mag so I'd probably try them out since their software is feature rich and they make some nice commercial level software; plus their support website is feature rich with lots of knowledge and a good tech support to boot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm 

haha Pink Princess Castle 4: Shopping Edition, yeah.... -shifty eyes-, okay then. At the moment I'm using acronis true image 201 to backup to a 1TB usb3 drive, but I'm not too keen on it, I often have problems when backing up and it's mass amounts of files it creates. I'll try shadowproject out then, see if I prefer that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Here's my take on encryption: you really don't need it unless you store sensitive material on your PC (like financial data or other material that could be used against you or used to steal your identity, etc. I don't consider pictures or documents or even videos sensitive data to be honest). I personally don't run any encryption on my systems, just because of the hassle, and because I keep all personal stuff (like financial documents) off my computer (on flash drives, for example, and those flash drives never leaves my house, and only comes out of the lock box when needed).

I honestly wouldn't bother much with encryption. If you're that paranoid about stuff because of torrenting or downloading whatever), just get another cheap computer to do that stuff on (that's what I'm doing... I have a "spare" computer I use on my guest network that is used for things like that, or for when someone comes to visit and wants to use a computer...

If you must have encryption, TrueCrypt is worth looking into. You could also consider BitLocker (but be advised that its only included with Win7 Pro and Ultimate) and I think it requires a TPM (Trusted Protection Module) chip--which I think is physically soldered to your motherboard, and not all of them have a TPM chip. I would probably do TrueCrypt over BiLocker.

but, since you're question seems to be also on backup (and any encryption program won't help you if your HD crashes), I'd suggest Acronis TrueImage 2010 (or later).
2010 is the edition that I know of (and that I still use) that will work with Windows 7. but, if you are buying new, just get the latest version (which I think they call PC Backup & Recovery, and is not really called TrueImage). I don't recommend Norton Ghost at all (really designed for businesses and I've found it to be problematic, at least the older versions 2003 and prior--haven't tried any of the newer versions).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

[+1]