Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AVG (Free) on WHS 2011?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:57 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Does anyone know if the free version of AVG Antivirus 2012 work on WHS 2011?

Looking for some suggestions or ideas for AV for my WHS box. And after reading the latest maxpc article on AV app roundup, I'm considering other alternatives to ESET--unless the roundup is biased in some fashion... I've used and like ESET Smart Security 4, but was a bit disappointed when I saw with MaxPC's recommendation in terms of Smart Security 5).

Trying to keep costs to a minimum, but am willing to pay if neeeded for good protection. I just need good protection, that's my biggest concern, since this will house most of my data (pictures, documents, movies, music, etc). And while I'll keep backups on disc and on external drives, I'd like to not have to deal with infections, so a good AV app is what I'm after). I guess I'd be willing to spend up to $75 per year for just the server (the clients have their own protection already).

So that's why I was looking into ESET (even though the results from MaxPC) or AVG or something else....

Post subject: Re: AVG (Free) on WHS 2011?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:41 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I wouldn't even start to dig MPC for being BIASED here. WHS is not based on Windows home users use. WHS1 was Server2004 and WHS2 is based off of Server2008, so we can't use the same AV Windows OS' get to do daily.

WHS's are on the internet, but since you are NOT suppose to use them lower than the shell as it warns, it's up to the clients to be safe and not get infected. A family full of protected clients will have one open server that's clean. I know that's funny when it comes to Windows being secure, but it works....it's server mentality. Otherwise, you'd have a WHS watching every bit as it comes and goes, every back up, every single action trying to protect itself and not be a very good home server.

But since it's a question, you need to purchase an AV that works with Windows Server 2008. Or, keep the clients clean and keep bugs off the server (i.e. Run Eset scans on Friday at 2am on all clients, back up to WHS at 6am. Since you're not using the server as a computer, it's only flaw is the least protected client).

I've preached it before, but the only viri I've had in decades is the ONE I asked for. If you're into Warez (or other reasons to get bugs), then I wouldn't even bother trusting a WHS to back up to; nor lean on an AV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:40 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

unfortunately, MSE doesn't support WHS yet, but the three big anti-virus for WHS are:
1. Avast! WHS edition - $50
2. AVG anti-virus Business Edition 2011 - $90
3. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Home Edition - $50

I haven't tried or use WHS yet so I'm not sure how good any of those are. And like what Chumly said, if you follow good practices on your computers/network at home, you don't need anti-virus on your WHS since 90% of the time, you won't be running programs; its just used as a centralized file storage system. Even if a client had a virus and was backed up on WHS, chances are that it won't run or even work since its a completely different OS.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My goal is to be as protected as possible, even if it mean a slight impact on server performance... I'd rather have a slight performance impact than an infected system. Normally, I'd agree with you on not needing AV, but I also bring stuff home from work, and I also work on other people's computer as well (and who knows what can be on them).

I look at it as an extra layer of defense for my data. My PCs AV programs should catch 99% (if not all) of the nasty stuff out there (should it try to make its way onto a machine of mine)--but as we all know, no AV app is 100%. I don't do the Warez stuff or any of the file sharing programs (or anything else that would obviously let a virus onto my system...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Quote:
I also bring stuff home from work, and I also work on other people's computer as well (and who knows what can be on them).

Look, its good you want to be virus free, but you have to realize that for a home environment (not a commercial environment) that using a good AV just for your PC's will do most of the leg work in finding and stopping viruses. Plus you have to "run" viruses in order for you to them catch them and infect other computers; which most AV will stop before it gets to that point.

If you feel uneasy with working on people's junk, then do a virus scan of their PC over the network or use a bootable virus scanner software on a usb stick. PC viruses are still mostly dependent on your action to spread.

WHS is mostly for backup and data storage, not running scripts, programs or other pieces of software. Putting AV on a WHS box for that application is like going around and wearing a glove and mask all the time because you are worried about catching the cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I stupidly swear that I ran around since my time served here w/o an AV here. My computer was always protected because I didn't tell it to do anything risky. Don't believe the hype in that just being connected to the internet is bad and you're open as that's BS.

I'm stupid only because I'm sure my 20years w/o an AV hit will come to an end. I'm smart because I'm clean. These aren't condoms and we just run around stupidly; yet it is. The dashboard tells you not to use it, and if all PC's are safe in your house are clean, then the server is clean...don't use the server as a PC!

It's pimpology. The server is the pimp, nodes are the whores. Keep them clean, you're clean. Logical?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Now the biggest question is... can a condom actually stretch over a server case?