Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual boot Windows 7 and XP help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:12 pm 

Hi all,

This is my first time trying to do a dual boot and I've got a few question, was hoping that I could get some advice. First, here are the operating systems I'd like to dual boot:

Windows XP Professional Media Center SP3 32-bit Retail
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM

I currently only have XP installed. I have two HDDs, the system is on the 500gb and the second is a back up 160gb. I'd like to install both XP and 7 on the same HDD.

As you can see I have no unallocated space, which is a problem that I have to sort out. I'd like to create a partition just for XP and then one just for Windows 7. What would be the best way to go about this? I've backed up my most important files already on the 160gb drive. Will I have to reformat the 500gb drive and reinstall XP? Or is there something else that I must do?

I think I've provided everything for this question, if I have forgotten something, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

-James

Post subject: Re: Dual boot Windows 7 and XP help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:44 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You can either use a tool like gparted to shrink the partition currently labeled as C:

IIRC, the Win 7 DVD will also dump you into a tool to shrink a partition if needed.

You could also just install Win 7 to the 160 gig drive instead. Obviously, this would involve copying everything back over to the disk labeled C:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 pm 

I'd really like to install both XP and 7 on the same HDD, on two different partitions and have my data on a different partition. I installed EASEUS Partition Master but when I try to shink the partition labeled C:, I still have my current data with XP in one partition. Is it possible to do a clean installation and create a partition just for XP during the re-installation? And then from there create two more partitions one for Windows 7 and the other for my data? If that isn't possible, is there any other choice I have or do I have to deal with my data on a partition with XP (like it is now).

Would it be easier if I cleaned my second HDD (160gb) and then created the partitions I want for XP and 7?

-James

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

trouble wrote:
when I try to shink the partition labeled C:, I still have my current data with XP in one partition.

What difference does that make? Shrinking the partition isn't going to automagically partition and format the newly created space, it's just dead space like if you chose to use 50% of the drive during XP setup.

The installer for Win7 will steer you to partition and format that space and install there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 pm 

What I was trying to state was that partition programs will allow me to shrink down to what my space used currently is, which isn't what I want to do. I'd like to get XP on its own separate partition, and then have my data on a completely different partition. Once I have that then I'd install Windows7 on another different partition. What it seems like you’re suggesting is to just leave the data on the same partition as XP and then shrink it down to create another for Windows7. That isn’t what I’d like to do but if there isn’t another way, I’d settle.

My question from the beginning is, if I did a clean installation of XP, during that installation would I be able to select an option to create just a partition for XP, say 20gbs? If that is possible, after the installation I would log into XP to create a data partition and a Windows7 partition. Once those are complete I’d go ahead and install Windows7.

Sorry if I’ve made this more complex then it needs to be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

so now you finally say what you want. You want three partitions on the same disk not two for each OS....

I'm not sure why you need a separate partition for data though. You already have everything on the 160 gig drive, which both OSes will be able to read anyways.

To answer your question though, yes, you've always been able to partition and format during install with XP as you would in Win 7. Win 7 does have the ability to partition and format also,

To clarify what I'm saying above...you already have a working copy of XP, all you need is free space, which is the reason behind just shrinking the existing partition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:59 am 

Sorry for being complicated before, I'll try my best to avoid that from now on. The reason I'd like to have that third partition (Data) is because the 160gb is primarily used just to back up my data on the 500gb and it is also getting to that time where I'd like to actually replace it. So even if I was to keep all my current and future data on the 160gb, soon I'd have to transfer it to the 500gb. Since I only backed up photos, documents, music and saved games, I have another question that I hope you'll understand from the get-go.

I went ahead with the separate partition just for data, and have yet to installed anything other than updates for XP and 7. When I do start reinstalling software on to the new partition, I don't expect them to just magically appear in the Start Menu. My question now is, will I be able to copy/create something on this new partition for programs to appear in the Start Menu or will I just be stuck with opening the Data partition or clicking desktop icons, every time? Thank you for sticking with this for me, I appreciate your help very much.

For visual, this is what my storage space looks like now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm 

u have to divide the first disk into two partitions, and the partition for windows 7 must be bigger than 20GB.
and when u are installing windows 7, do choose the right partition, otherwise windows XP system will be wiped out.
and i googled a comparatively safe way to dual boot Windows 7 with XP. hope it can help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, so ignore if not. ;)

You say you can reinstall XP and that's no problem for you. This is good, in my opinion, as I like clean installs.

Use XP to create three partitions on the drive during the install process. Based on what I have seen, I'd have no less than 50 GB allocated to XP, 150 allocated to Win7, and the rest can be data. You don't want to run out of room on those OS partitions, or then you've got some issues to work out.

Install XP first, drivers, etc.
Install Win7 on the 150 GB partition, drivers, etc.

When you reboot, you'll get a boot menu that lets you pick between Windows 7 and "Previously installed OS" or some such thing. You'll be good to go.

I had issues when trying to resize partitions; had some unmovable blocks that prevented me from shrinking the thing down to where I wanted.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Do you really need to dual boot? Have you considered using the Anytime upgrade to Windows 7 pro and use XP Mode?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Or getting VMware Player and running Unity?
Linky
Instead of DLing and installing XP mode, install your copy of XP on the virtual machine, install VMware Tools in the virtual machine, then follow the instructions on "Integrating XP mode in VMware Player in Windows 7".

Edited for clarity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:48 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

VM Ware is nice... I used version 7 a little bit. Thinking about getting myself upgraded proper. I used to run 3 VMs at once on my desktop.