Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BETTER online storage question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:30 pm 

Ok, I researched more into my last question, and it turns out that the issue is a two step problem

1. Most, if not all, of my online storage providers did NOT have the ability to use their services with ftp...and I'm asuming from my geek knowledge, that mapping the drive as a network drive would be esentially using it through ftp services

2. If they do support it, it is a paid only option...and if they do for free (only 1 did) they require captcha verification...

So my new question is this...

Does anyone here know of any significant online storage providers, for free, that have preferably larger than 10gbs worth of DREE storage, that supports access through windows explorer, as a network drive, or any other way of accessing through explorer, and even more prefferably, without a significant file size or number of files limit...or if it does have a limit, then have a way to queue up files??

If they require some application to access...IE windows sky drive using sdexplorer... then is there some way to copy/paste through the app...

Any and all cloud storage services that meet, or even come close...please recommend...

And if they don't support everything, if you know of a way yo "hack" the service, either by being sneeky...symbolic links, running multiple instances on different accounts IE DROPBOX MOD, scripts...anything, then please mention them.

Post subject: Re: BETTER online storage question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You can use a program to use your gmail inbox as an FTP. It gives you about 7GB, and if you make a new address just for this, you will be able to use all of it for free.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:31 am 

Some of the other best-known providers for unlimited online storage site is Omnidrive, Badongo, Mozy, Mega actions, and so on. Almost all of these offer at least 2GB of accurate, free space, when it was often to update hundreds of GBS, specific conditions are met.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

carinasjoys wrote:
Some of the other best-known providers for unlimited online storage site is Omnidrive, Badongo, Mozy, Mega actions, and so on. Almost all of these offer at least 2GB of accurate, free space, when it was often to update hundreds of GBS, specific conditions are met.

He wants something FTP style.
Omnidrive is dead, Megaupload has horrible restrictions, Badongo only has FTP as upload, not download, Mozy is for backups and acts like Kryptonite, and also has a fee, and Mega Actions is a Photoshop plugin, not a file service.
Why is the Captcha such a big deal?
I personally would just get a home server, run Openfiler or FreeNAS set up as an FTP, and use a free domain from DynDNS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I was going to set up a huge NAS myself... and then hard drives went up in price by about 90%.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:35 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Yes, the hard drive situation really really sucks.