Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can you have multiple XP Mode VMs?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've been using XP Mode for Windows 7 since it came out two years ago. Now, I"m wondering if you can have multiple VMs based on the one that is provided by Microsoft for the sole purpose of testing software. What I'm looking to do is to have a few Windows XP installs, all with varying configurations.

I plan to use the additional VMs for things like having different versions of the same browser (such as one VM may have FF2 and IE6 installed, and then another VM might have IE7 and FF3 installed, and so on. The bulk of my work is done as web programming so I need to be able to test websites on a wide variety of browsers, ranging from IE6, FF2 and Safar, all the way up to the latest browsers, including Chrome and the latest versions of FF and Safari (to ensure compatability on both new browsers, and browsers that are up to 10 years old, since my client-base for whom I develop sites for has a wide range of potential configurations.

Basically, I don't need really old versions, such as IE5 or FF1 or Netscape. Just browsers since IE6, FF2 and so on.

Any suggestions as to how I can go about doing this (other than a dual or triple booed system).

Post subject: Re: Can you have multiple XP Mode VMs?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:45 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You can use VMware Player. You can have multiple VMs all capable running in XP mode.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I don't think you're able to run browsers like this without some sort of sandbox framework (lack of terms)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

You have say, 3 VMs running XP.
VM 1: FF8 IE7
VM2: FF4 IE6
VM3: FF3.6 IE5

If one VM is infected, delete the VHD and run your AV and AM/AS programs. You will be fine.
Furball, you're thinking of Sandboxee or KACE. This doesn't have the same capabilities he is looking for.
You can use the XP mode image as often as you want on as many VMs as you want. Thus are the license terms.
You don't even have to use the XP mode integration. Set up the network forwarding and you can run in full screen. It will all work great. I did something similar for some of my games.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I was planning on doing VMs, which makes me want to ask if you can have multiple copies of XP Mode for Win7 installed on a machine.
What I was planning on doing was grouping browsers together across 3 or 4 VMs. For example, FF2 and Safari 3, and IE7 would be on one VM, FF3, Safari 5 and IE8 would be on another VM, and so on. It's very important that I make sure that the sites work correctly on a wide variety of browsers ranging back to IE6, FF2 and probably Safari 3 (basically all the major browsers dating back to around 2002-2003, since my the target audience can have a wide range of browsers and versions, and many of them are only average computer users and may not be up on the latest browsers and web technologies, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Yes it works.