Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What exactly is: fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Recently I had a huge problem with my registry. The problem has been fixed at this point, but applying a fix and understanding a fix are two very different things.

Hardware: Dell M1330, 4GB (3.5GB) Ram, 120GB Free space

So what happened:
  • I started getting odd registry errors after installing new software.
  • Adobe Acrobat 8.1.1 tried to reinstall every time I right clicked on an icon.
  • When I tried to let it finish it told me that there was a problem with a specific registry key.
  • I tried to fix it but was denied because I didn't have sufficient privileges.
  • Found out that there were no assigned owners or permissions to several Adobe registry keys. So it was impossible to edit the keys, and therefore I could not fix the installation issue.
At this point I tried a lot of things, but here is what worked:
  1. I rebooted the machine
  2. I opened a command line as an administrator
  3. I typed the following and hit enter:
    Code:
    fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
  4. I added owners and permissions to the registry keys
  5. I then rebooted

And it worked. Well... mostly. I had to do it again at another point for another part of the program, but it worked again.

So now that the problem is fixed, I would like to know how it was fixed by that command. What happened when I pressed enter?

Microsoft's Technical Reference for Vista is not completed - Link
Microsoft Technet Server 2008 documentation has FSUTIL, but not the resource parameter - Link
Microsoft Technet older Server documentation does not mention the resource parameter - Link

If you were to do a search on Microsoft's website, you would see this command used as a solution, but no explanation of what it does.

I'm very interested in this one.

Post subject: Re: What exactly is: fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm 

Fsutil

Creates a Secondary Transactional Resource Manager, starts or stops a Transactional Resource Manager, or displays information about a Transactional Resource Manager and modifies the following behavior:

-Whether a default Transactional Resource Manager will clean its transactional metadata at the next mount

-The specified Transactional Resource Manager to prefer consistency over availability

-The specified Transaction Resource Manager to prefer availability over consistency

-The characteristics of a running Transactional Resource Manager

-Specifies whether a default Transactional Resource Manager will clean the transactional metadata on the next mount.

Setautoreset

-Set the setautoreset parameter to true to specify that the Transaction Resource Manager will clean the transactional metadata on the next mount, by default.

-Set the setautoreset parameter to false to specify that the Transaction Resource Manager will not clean the transactional metadata on the next mount, by default. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: