Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installing Programs from one Win7 install to a diff Win 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I am wanting to install Win 7 Pro on a diff laptop that will have a bigger HDD than the one I have now. But I don't want to have to reinstall all my programming programs or my office or all that. It would take too long and I would have to call the makers of each program and get a new activation key for the programs. Is there a way I could backup all my programs or revert them back to an install exe? I have a lot of programs like Visio, Office, Microsoft Visual studio, Microsoft Web Matrix, Microsoft Web Platform, IIS, SQL, Adobe Web Premium CS4, etc. Like almost 20 diff programming and coding software. It's just too much of a hassle.
I know what you're thinking, if you do coding and programming you should be able to do this. And I have ideas but I want to know from those more experienced. And I mainly do web page coding instead of actual hard coding. Any ideas?

Oh and the programs would go from the HDD of a Compaq Presario to the HDD on a Dell Inspiron. both laptops. So 2 diff. HDD's, same OS diff. activation keys, 2 diff. laptops.

Post subject: Re: Installing Programs from one Win7 install to a diff Win
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I think this has been covered with you before, but...

http://www.maximumpc.com/search/windows ... %20install

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:40 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

furball146 wrote:
I think this has been covered with you before, but...

Yes furball I have brought up an issue like this previously but this is different. See the programs I want to keep are on the HDD that is installed in the Compaq. I want to take that same HDD and install it into the Dell laptop. Since the MOBO's are different, and etc. the Win7 installation will not work. I gave this particular Win7 Install to my father cuz I have a new Win7 installation disc with SP1. I want to use the new Win7 installation disc to install that edition of Win7 on the HDD but I would be reinstalling all my programs for the next 2 weeks if I lose it all. I was wondering if there was a way that I could cut/copy paste all those programs to a USB drive and do a clean install and then cut/paste the programs in. It would be so much easier if the programs only installed in the Programs folder but they install in other places like DriversStore folder, Windows folder, Users Documents folder, etc.
I could do a search for anything attached to the program names and copy/paste them and then put them back on the new installation but that would take just as long as reinstalling them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:06 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Just do fresh installs. This way, you don't have to muck around with the registry.