Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reducing Windows' "Click-Fest"...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:55 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all,

I may be somewhat of a Linux fanboi, but I do need to use Windows on a daily basis.

One of my biggest frustrations is the amount of steps needed to perform a basic task.

Recently I've noticed that most 3rd party applications, after first introducing you to the installer, ask you what your language is.

Now, I'm not a Windows developer, but I believe there should be a setting somewhere buried in the registry or elsewhere that sets the language.

So, why is it that almost every software asks you what language you use? Why can't this simply be automatically determined by the OS' language?

I don't know about you, but I don't know many people that use their OS in Spanish, their word processor in Polish, and their web browser in Farsi. And even if one *did* want to set their system up like that, shouldn't there be a setting within the application that can change the language after installation?

I don't know, I just get sick and tired of clicking "Next" and "OK" a half-dozen or more times every time I want to install a package, perform an update / upgrade, etc. Many, if not most, of these dialogs are redundant, and could be eliminated by simply checking the OS's environment settings. Some apps will ask your time-zone, or what country you live in. This should all be stored in an environment config file at the OS level.

Just my $0.02

Peace,
Dan O.

Post subject: Re: Reducing Windows' "Click-Fest"...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

What apps are you installing? I can't ever remember being asked what language I use. I have seen the option when selecting components to pick other language packs to install though... but you could ignore those and be fine?