Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I Upgrade..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello All,

I'm currently running Windows Vista HP & I'm thinking about Upgrading to Windows 7 HP/Pro. I have a few questions though, is Win 7 worth the upgrade.. is it that much more secure & is the performance that much better than Vista? I have watched a few videos online comparing the two but they're all fairly old videos & the reviews I have read are just as old.. how does it currently perform? From what I've seen as far as looks go, it looks about the same.. no?

Thanks, Phil B.

System Specs:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 MHz OVERCLOCKED @ 3.38GHz
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Hard Drive(s): System: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache. Storage: Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II 16MB Cache
RAM: OCZ 2x512 & 2x1GB Gold GX XTC PC2-6400.
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650W
Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI A2 122-CK-NF68

Post subject: Re: Should I Upgrade..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I run both OSes on 4 computers (2 each OS) and realistically, as long as you have decent hardware specs, there is no real world performance difference in day to day tasks.

now if you go with a SSD (for Win7 TRIM, and SSDs are getting pretty good without it), are using it as a HTPC (and then only for Win7s improved Media Center), or have a need for Homegroups (lots of networked Win7 computers) its pretty much just a spiffed up version of Vista.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I don't know Char, in my experience Win7 wins every time. Better UAC, better security (IMO), also it just feels faster to me.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review ... w?page=0,3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 am 

I was a hardcore Vista fan/user when it was out, but I ended up switching over to Windows 7 when it was released. Other than learning a slightly different GUI, the two are very similar. Yes Windows 7 is faster than Windows Vista, it has less memory issues, and since it is Microsoft's Flagship OS, more support will be for it.

However, considering you've waited this long to upgrade it, you obviously have not had any issues with Windows Vista. If your reason to wait was for bugs to get out, then yes get it now before builds of Windows 8 begin being released. However, if you decided to wait just for the sake of waiting, then you can wait until Windows 8 comes out next year-ish.