Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win7's XP Mode - will it expire & how to back up?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Got two hopefully fairly simpl questions here regarding the Windows XP Mode that you can install for Win7 Pro/Ultimate...

First, when Microsoft ends support for XP, will they also end support for XP Mode, as in create a patch that disables it? (I know he purpose of XP Mode was mainly so that people can migrate their systems to Win7 from XP, and it allowed for people to still run XP programs until they did migrate.)

Second, what's the easiest way to backup my XP Mode configuration (installation, I guess) so that if somethings goes wrong, I can simply restore it from a backup without having to re-install XP Mode?

I haven't played too much with the Windows Virtual PC itself, and mainly use XP mode to run old versions of Firefox and IE, among other browsers, so I don't get too much indepth as to the innards of XP mode and how it works. I just use it a few times a week for very limited periods of time.

Post subject: Re: Win7's XP Mode - will it expire & how to back up?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:28 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

In the past Microsoft has never issued a command through an update to kill an operating system. I still run win 98se and win 2000 on another computer that never sees the internet...so I don't collect virusessss :lol: I just run old apps and games on it. If they did something like that there would be hell to pay in the form of a class action law suit I am sure. Win XP is being supported/updated until 2014, after that you are on your own if you still want to use it. There will be no more security patches after that date.

Nasty

Post subject: Re: Win7's XP Mode - will it expire & how to back up?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

cbassett01 wrote:
First, when Microsoft ends support for XP, will they also end support for XP Mode

Seeming that having a license for XP was never a requirement to use XP mode, I'm not sure where you're trying to lead this question...

cbassett01 wrote:
as in create a patch that disables it?

The only thing that's ever been done with has been with MS's JVM back in the beginning of XP and it took a court to tell them to do that...

cbassett01 wrote:
(I know he purpose of XP Mode was mainly so that people can migrate their systems to Win7 from XP, and it allowed for people to still run XP programs until they did migrate.)

That's not what it's for... It was meant to run programs that couldn't deal with the features in 7, but ran in XP (or previous versions). Think older software or in house developed software. The market wasn't you and me, it was an enterprise

cbassett01 wrote:
Second, what's the easiest way to backup my XP Mode configuration (installation, I guess) so that if somethings goes wrong, I can simply restore it from a backup without having to re-install XP Mode?

I would think you just need to copy the virtual hard drive file

You would need to reinstall the bits for XP mode if you ever had a need to reinstall. The app was released. It's not going away until there's an end of life for win 7 and even then...