Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Access my desktop at home with the best quality possible
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm 

I want to access my desktop at home from my work station. Both computers have a great upload and dl speed and have the processing power to do pretty much whatever. I was looking at applications to use between the two. I want to use the one that allows me to game at lunch with as little of lag and quality loss as possible.

Like I said the connection isnt the issue. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Access my desktop at home with the best quality possible
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Use Logmein Hamachi and you'll be rock solid and remote.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 am 

It seems like ill still have to use tightvnc with hamachi for the best possible outcome correct?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:12 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Go home @ lunch.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:51 pm 

Spunkify wrote:
It seems like ill still have to use tightvnc with hamachi for the best possible outcome correct?

I've used TightVNC+Hamachi in the past for troubleshooting / helping a friend fix things. Although whenenver I've tried looking at something "3D" it tends to either not display at all, or be extremely choppy. But hey TightVNC and Hamachi are both free, so go nuts experimenting.

Just FYI, I recently have tried using "TeamViewer" for my remote support needs (it's free for non-commercial use as well). I have a friend open World of Warcraft "in windowed mode" and I could see his what he saw, but it was at a framerate of like .3 per second (meaning it would give me a new frame every 3 seconds)

So that worked for me helping troubleshoot his WoW mods and typing in some macros, but I wouldn't even try fishing in WoW with it that choppy.

It's all free software though, so go ahead and try, you can't hurt anything :-) (oh fyi, you employer may not be cool with you setting up your own vpn connection to outside of the company which is what these software programs would do, I highly recommend asking first, or maybe playing a game on your phone at lunch)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:01 am 

ntldrismissing wrote:
Spunkify wrote:

I've used TightVNC+Hamachi in the past for troubleshooting / helping a friend fix things. Although whenenver I've tried looking at something "3D" it tends to either not display at all, or be extremely choppy. But hey TightVNC and Hamachi are both free, so go nuts experimenting.

Just FYI, I recently have tried using "TeamViewer" for my remote support needs (it's free for non-commercial use as well). I have a friend open World of Warcraft "in windowed mode" and I could see his what he saw, but it was at a framerate of like .3 per second (meaning it would give me a new frame every 3 seconds)

So that worked for me helping troubleshoot his WoW mods and typing in some macros, but I wouldn't even try fishing in WoW with it that choppy.

It's all free software though, so go ahead and try, you can't hurt anything :-) (oh fyi, you employer may not be cool with you setting up your own vpn connection to outside of the company which is what these software programs would do, I highly recommend asking first, or maybe playing a game on your phone at lunch)

I work for a software company its not a big deal to my boss he just doesnt want anything installed game wise on the PC. Lunch time though is fine. I cant go home I have a 30m commute lol. I just like to play a quick game of wtv for lunch.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:06 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Honestly though, you aren't going to get decent results, even if both sides of the connection have huge pipes.

You'd be better off bringing a laptop with the games or something in with you.