Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ms word. oo writer
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm a lousy secretary. I've never been able to figure out how to make a "modern" word processor behave. I'm MUCH more comfortable with some of the first iterations that came out in the late 80's and early 90's (when corel word perfect dominated), as they didn't assume what you wanted to do everytime you hit a key.

My single biggest issue is the auto bullet formatting that keeps popping up or the auto numbering that occurs when you type a number then a space, and then hit enter. I'm currently using open office, (which behaves the exact same way ms word does in this regard), and I'm trying to write recipes where you of course, have a number for the amount, then a space and then the ingredient followed by hitting the 'enter' key. The miserable *&^&% keeps auto formatting bullets and numbers. I get a pop up screen and I mouse over "turn off bullets/numbering" which then erases my amounts and moves the text back to the left margin where I want it. I then of course, have to re-enter the number and hit enter again. Then it happens all over again. This aggravating scenario has played out dozens of times everytime I try and use a word processor. I have asked various office workers how to make it behave and the answer is invariably "we don't actually KNOW HOW but we can play around with it until eventually, it behaves. It used to take my ex about fifteen minutes of fiddling to get rid of this everytime it popped up on something I was trying to work on. To me, that's not a very productive word processor. She's gone and I can't figure it out. I've never been good with MS software. I tend to believe the only ones that truly know how to use it are the people that actually wrote it as I've NEVER met anyone that has claimed how to fully use and understand their office suite.

I freely admit that I am a moron when it comes to stuff like this but I would like to change all that. Can anyone help me with this? I've got a vent server I rent if someone is feeling brave and would care to walk me though this process of getting rid of unwanted bulleting/formatting/numbering. Just pm me for it. I doubt a written explanation is going to get through my thick skull but I welcome any assistance.

thanks

Post subject: Re: ms word. oo writer
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:39 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

By default, if you type an asterisk or a number 1., Word recognizes that you are trying to start a bulleted or numbered list. You can turn off the automatic list recognition feature.

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, and then click Word Options.
2. Click Proofing.
3. Click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
4. Under Apply as you type, select or clear the Automatic bulleted lists check box or the Automatic numbered lists check box.

Note: If you turn the feature off and create your list manually, you can't select and change the list all at once. For example, you can't select the list and change the color of all of the numbers at one time.