Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Slow Library Searches
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have 285 items in my Videos folder on my laptop, and it takes like half a minute for the list to build itself when I enter the folder. My desktop computer takes about three minutes to complete a list of items in the Downloads folder, and it has a 750GB hard drive filled with lots of content and different file types. The Users folders in both systems are already indexed. My desktop is also really slow of late in booting, shutting down, and accessing folders. I spent a day or so going through msconfig and Services to weed out non-essential processes. What do you think I should do to speed stuff up?

Post subject: Re: Slow Library Searches
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Defragment, scan for malware and perhaps check for failing hardware (CPU, RAM, HDD). Example of the last: I had an old PATA hard disk drive that was failing, but not dead yet. It switched to PIO Mode instead of Ultra DMA and thus, transfer rates dropped to 4MB/sec.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I doubt that fragmentation has anything to do with it.

I remember this being an issue before... where it takes a long time to display the contents of the folder? I don't remember the context or solution unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm with CrashTECH. If it were a failing drive, I would only be experiencing the problem on one of the two rigs; same goes for malware. Fragmentation, maybe--one computer is slower than the other, but both are slow when opening up libraries, which makes me think this is a Win7 issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

joel96 wrote:
I'm with CrashTECH. If it were a failing drive, I would only be experiencing the problem on one of the two rigs; same goes for malware. Fragmentation, maybe--one computer is slower than the other, but both are slow when opening up libraries, which makes me think this is a Win7 issue.

Have the machines been on the same network? Ever? Could still be malware.

Has the indexing service been disabled?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I can access shared folders between the rigs. I doubt malware is an issue here. I've got Windows Defender, Firewall, and Security Essentials running. I periodically do scans to check for malware. The index service is enabled, and set to index the libraries. There is a hack around it, which is to put stuff in folders. This isn't an optimal solution, since the whole point of indexing is to speed up access and searching for the files you want to get to.