Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New employee using company computer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a Emloyee for the first time and I am having them do computer stuff and I am not here all the time. Is there a program that will show me what she has done on the puter during the day?? also is there a way to tell if that program is on the puter also??

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New employee using company computer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

[mod edit] Deleted link. Don't post links to that stuff. Period. No description, no discussion about potential security issues? Consider this a warning to you. - CrashTECH [/mod edit]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:05 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Bud, there are a lot of issues to address here and lots of different approaches you could take. How technically skilled are you honestly? Because that could change a few things. What does your computer/network environment look like today? What version of windows? What sort of work will they be doing? Internet capable (does it need it?)

Lets get a little more info here before we try to recommend anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Windows 7 is all and She is posting inventory on craigs list and on our company FB page, but I just want to make sure she is not on her own pages or doing other things other then that while i am out

What was Cashtech referring to??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Dayak wrote:
Windows 7 is all and She is posting inventory on craigs list and on our company FB page, but I just want to make sure she is not on her own pages or doing other things other then that while i am out

What was Cashtech referring to??
Jimbo posted a link to a keylogger. Honestly, that isn't the way I would go. You could have a proxy server set up to block other sites but since they have to use Facebook to post stuff on the company site, that would be difficult. The best thing you can do is get some logging at the router level about the traffic and periodically monitor it.

I can't tell you how to run your business, but from my experience, allowing your employees some leeway is generally a good thing. Obviously there are some sites that just shouldn't be visited but I don't see the harm in checking a Facebook page or checking email etc. Obviously if they are spending ~20+ minutes a day total on personal facebook pages, then you will have to decide how to handle that.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Set up your lan/wifi connection thru OpenDNS. You can block all the filth, unwanted and unproductive sites to your hearts content. It's totally free and you can also monitor where she's been via your account Dashboard.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:30 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

That won't help with blocking Facebook since they will be updating the company FB page...

Honestly, you'll just have to be discrete and watch "over their shoulder". It shouldn't be too hard to tell if they are being productive or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am 

Well if you look on the PC in Internet Explorer tools\internet options\browsing history settings\view files. You will see cookies sent from the websites they visit and also the picture from websites. This is called you windows cache it's used to speed up site that a person goes to alot. So instead having to download those pictures for the internet it stores the to this cache area. Its faster to load the pictures from your hard drive then to pull them down for the internet every time you go to a page.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

orlbuckeye wrote:
Well if you look on the PC in Internet Explorer tools\internet options\browsing history settings\view files. You will see cookies sent from the websites they visit and also the picture from websites. This is called you windows cache it's used to speed up site that a person goes to alot. So instead having to download those pictures for the internet it stores the to this cache area. Its faster to load the pictures from your hard drive then to pull them down for the internet every time you go to a page.

Good in theory... but there are ways around your option for those of us with a little bit of knowledge :wink: IE cache size can be controlled, you can change history settings, A simple program can remove your cookies and clear your IE cache when you close IE, etc... server level logging (something I've not needed so I haven't looked into) is probably the best way to track what's going on, then it doesn't matter if the user wipes every trace of what their doing from their PC.

Dayak, I'm not going to tell you how to run your business, but some studies have suggested that allowing employees to use company internet for personal use can improve overall productivity, as long as they aren't spending hours on personal stuff. Same concept as paid vacations, by getting away from the grind (in this case for a few minutes instead of a few days), you're refreshed & come back with renewed vigor.

Personally, I can think more clearly on important work issues if I stop concentrating on them by checking email, or seeing what's on sale at newegg, etc...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:38 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

chaosdsm wrote:
Dayak, I'm not going to tell you how to run your business, but some studies have suggested that allowing employees to use company internet for personal use can improve overall productivity, as long as they aren't spending hours on personal stuff. Same concept as paid vacations, by getting away from the grind (in this case for a few minutes instead of a few days), you're refreshed & come back with renewed vigor.

Personally, I can think more clearly on important work issues if I stop concentrating on them by checking email, or seeing what's on sale at newegg, etc...

/agree

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
I can't tell you how to run your business, but from my experience, allowing your employees some leeway is generally a good thing. Obviously there are some sites that just shouldn't be visited but I don't see the harm in checking a Facebook page or checking email etc. Obviously if they are spending ~20+ minutes a day total on personal facebook pages, then you will have to decide how to handle that.

There's this scene in "Schindler's List" where the factory foreman asks one of the line workers to make a single hinge, and the foreman times him on how long it takes the worker to make the one hinge.
Because the foreman (and two armed guards) is standing directly over him, the worker finishes the hinge in record time.
The foreman then asks "Why did it only take you so many minutes to make one hinge, and the day is half over and I only see you've made a few hinges this whole time?"

You could use this approach, time them on how long it takes them to do 1 "entry". Let's assume it takes 10 minutes, then say "okay, assuming an 8 hour work day with a 15 minutes break in the morning and a 15 minute break in the evening, that is a total of 450 minutes. So if each one takes 10 minutes, you should be able to complete 45 in a day"

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

1. hide a camera linked to an upload site watching her. monitor the site on occasion - very big brother but heh, whatever floats your boat

2. my solution - I only hire "subcontractors" - pay by production, not hourly. Productive people like this system. lazy slugs do not. pretty easy to find out which she is if she balks at production based pay. In my experience, maybe 1 out of 100 people are actually productive. The rest fall in the middle somewhere. I have never hired a woman on production based pay that lasted longer than a week. The cynical side of me would tend to say that they are basically lazy but the reality tends more towards the 'uncomfortable without a security blanket of known pay'.

Some employers use production based pay to make their workers work like slaves to earn anything. That's not true production based pay. True production based pay is based on what you would get on average from average workers and then divided into segments. Thus, even a slightly above average worker would earn a good bit and an outstanding one quite a lot. You'll never get people with a low priority work ethic on a production based system. Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am some sort of slave driver - my 'average' production workers make 1000+ per week working 20-30 hours and my "outstanding" production crews made in excess of 2500 a week but also leaned more towards the 50-60 hour mark.

No, I'm not hiring atm, sorry. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm 

pickle wrote:

Well I'm super interested. What field/work is this?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:54 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

pickle wrote:
True production based pay is based on what you would get on average from average workers and then divided into segments. Thus, even a slightly above average worker would earn a good bit and an outstanding one quite a lot. You'll never get people with a low priority work ethic on a production based system. Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I am some sort of slave driver - my 'average' production workers make 1000+ per week working 20-30 hours and my "outstanding" production crews made in excess of 2500 a week but also leaned more towards the 50-60 hour mark.

All I have to say is... I wish I could find a job like this.