Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: setup.exe - corrupt file
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm 

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a Gateway Laptop. I believe the model is MD2614u. I put the CD and changed the boot order to boot off DVD. I get to the install screen and proceed to "Custom" install. I get to the drives and delete the previous partitions. Windows starts to install but crashes eventually. It completes "copy windows files". It crashes during the "Expanding Windows files"

This is an example of the errors I get

setup.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory
\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-rastls_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_c85a1d9569d4e6f4 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility

rollback.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory D:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Clock.Gadget\Images\settings_box_bottom.png is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I thought that the DVD player was bad so I followed the steps from here on Maximum PC on how to make a bootable USB drive for installing windows 7. When I install from the USB I get the same error.

Is this a bad hard drive? Or is there something I can check?

Thanks A lot!

Post subject: Re: setup.exe - corrupt file
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Sounds like you have bad ram, bad psu or a bad hard drive.

Use Memtest86+ to check your ram one stick at a time. I usually run the test for ten minutes, if any errors show up RMA the ram...most ram is lifetime warranty today.

To check the hard drive go to the hard drive manufactures site and get their diagnostic software, make a bootable disk using the ISO file and check the drive. Use the 90 second test first, if it tells you the drive needs the long test, run it. In the end it will tell you if the drive is bad or not.

The only way to see if it is the psu is switch it out with a known good psu....borrow a friends/relatives if need be.

Nasty